AUDI R18 longtail exhaust solution

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
marcush.

AUDI R18 longtail exhaust solution

Just stumbled across the 2013 Audi Exhaust treatment and would like to share :

picture source: mulsannescorner.com

picture source :Endurance-info.com

this brought me to the idea if it where not possible to create something similar -without direct connection of course to the exhaust pipe to direct air to the floor edge ..

eg a S-shaped strake (in z-x plane) ..using coanda physics to keep (exhaust) flow attached and guided to the floor edge

simieski

Re: AUDI R18 longtail exhaust solution

Seems pretty similar to Mclarens ill fated fan tail/octopus exhaust.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/05/30/mc ... s-exhaust/
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

marcush.

don´t think so ,the audi solution pretty much is blowing down the tyre sidewall when Mclarens solution was in front of the tyre at full width of the floor.

I think this is realy a clever thing they have done here the exhaust pipe sits on top of the difusser roof and blows down the hollow difusser side exiting at the lower edge curling/shedding a vortex to seal the difusser rearwards of the tyre methinks
This should make the difusser appear longer and bigger than it physically is?

ESPImperium

Talking to someone the other day and he thinks the Audi solution will increase their tire wear in the LM24 race, possibly leading them to pit as much as 42 times to Toyotas 34 to 38 times. However Audi have massive speed that will be hard to live with through the Porsche curves and through and the Ford and Dunlop curves as well. They may be able to run less downforce as a result so as to get a more normal level of downforce through the Porsche curves and compete with the Toyotas down the 3 Mulsanne Straights and from Mulsanne to Indionapolis.

Audi seem to have this years race won already, unless they have 3 massive Mcnish/Rockenfeller 2011 style smashes or massive unreliability i think they will win over the TS030s by about a clear two laps.

marcush.

ESPImperium wrote:Talking to someone the other day and he thinks the Audi solution will increase their tire wear in the LM24 race, possibly leading them to pit as much as 42 times to Toyotas 34 to 38 times. However Audi have massive speed that will be hard to live with through the Porsche curves and through and the Ford and Dunlop curves as well. They may be able to run less downforce as a result so as to get a more normal level of downforce through the Porsche curves and compete with the Toyotas down the 3 Mulsanne Straights and from Mulsanne to Indionapolis.

Audi seem to have this years race won already, unless they have 3 massive Mcnish/Rockenfeller 2011 style smashes or massive unreliability i think they will win over the TS030s by about a clear two laps.
I heard their problem is not tyre wear but increased fuel consumption? that would leave them with the option to only maximise the blown difusser to clear the opposition?

ESPImperium

marcush. wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Talking to someone the other day and he thinks the Audi solution will increase their tire wear in the LM24 race, possibly leading them to pit as much as 42 times to Toyotas 34 to 38 times. However Audi have massive speed that will be hard to live with through the Porsche curves and through and the Ford and Dunlop curves as well. They may be able to run less downforce as a result so as to get a more normal level of downforce through the Porsche curves and compete with the Toyotas down the 3 Mulsanne Straights and from Mulsanne to Indionapolis.

I heard their problem is not tyre wear but increased fuel consumption? that would leave them with the option to only maximise the blown difusser to clear the opposition?
They also have that problem as well.

Audi have problems around the front axle as well as their hybrid system is pumping out more torque than it can handle.

silente

Nice to see my pictures here as well!!!

Mulsannes Mike made them famous!

Actually, tehy have increased fuel consumption a lot because they are now pushing much more on performance, rather than on fuel efficiency, targeting to cover the incresed fuel consumption with much quicker lap times.

During the first two WEC Races it worked pretty well, although i am not sure Toyota has shown its full potential.

And yes, the concept with the EBD should be not to really blown the diffuser, but more to close it against tire induced turbulence.
According to what i read they are not doing something with the engine maps to increase downforce.

marcush.

silente wrote:
Nice to see my pictures here as well!!!

Mulsannes Mike made them famous!

Actually, tehy have increased fuel consumption a lot because they are now pushing much more on performance, rather than on fuel efficiency, targeting to cover the incresed fuel consumption with much quicker lap times.

During the first two WEC Races it worked pretty well, although i am not sure Toyota has shown its full potential.

And yes, the concept with the EBD should be not to really blown the diffuser, but more to close it against tire induced turbulence.
According to what i read they are not doing something with the engine maps to increase downforce.
did not realise it was you who took those ..a very very cool catch and nice to see that Sportcar racing still allows a closer look to the more technically interested..

I find your words contradicting as one one hand you say their fuel consumption is going up but on the other side they have not changed the mapping ..I don´t think audi did only part throttle runs in the years before but tried to optimise their fueland ignition maps to reduce consumption and now they have changed their approach to more output -also exhaust ,of course to make full use of their aero ....maybe the former was also to get a clear understanding in terms of parts and system robustness.

silente

i probably was not clear enough, my fault.

Actually, since 2012 i think the restrictor size has been further reduced. This should produce a drop in engine power.

Nonetheless, during the first 2 races, also because of more effective hybrid systems, laptimes went down quite significantly.

Some have pointed attention to the new system used by Audi, which surely has an aero effect and help to increase performance. But my understanding it that the increased fuel consumption is not connected to the exploitation of this sort of EBD diffuser they use, but to the intention to increase engine performance at its best.
Probably they have seen this strategy pays more than to reduce consumptions and power and stop less times.

So the concept should be that they use more fuel because they decided to maximize engine power against fuel efficiency, not because they somehow use the fuel to have a Formula 1 style EBD, where engine maps were changed to have a stronger exhaust flow also during braking.