WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Constructr wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:Anyone know if the LMP1-L Lotus will get on track this year?, they keep pushing it back and back, it would be nice to see a team fighting rebellion instead of them being on there own in no mans land.
If they are using Renault power, they're probably putting it on hold.
They're using an AER engine.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Sombrero
Sombrero

stefan_
stefan_

Positive first test for Lotus P1/01

Following on from news about the shakedown of the new AER-engined Lotus P1/01 prototype, the team has now released further details about its first full test session. The Lotus team is due to debut the car at the fourth round of the FIA World Endurance Championship, the 6 Hours of Circuit of The Americas, which is the highlight of the Lone Star Le Mans weekend in Austin, Texas on 18-20 September.

The new LMP1 car was tested last week at the Monteblanco circuit in Spain by Thomas Holzer, Pierre Kaffer and Christophe Bouchut. Kaffer was only able to do the first three days as he then departed for a race in Canada.

The two German drivers started the week by doing short runs, setting up the new AER engine, working on traction control and a number of other electronic components – all of which worked well. They then moved onto longer runs to allow the team to learn about the car’s aerodynamic properties as well as testing mechanic components. On the final day Christophe Bouchut took the wheel for longer stints to work on reliability.

Team Manager, Marko van Dommele, told the FIA WEC: “A lot was learned about the new car and we have been able to gather a lot of useful data. Based on the data gathered, improvements will be made to the car in the coming days and a further test is planned for the end of July.”
via FIAwec.com
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

machin

Rather excellent news that the non-hybrid LMP1 cars are now allowed to run at an 800kg limit (compared to the Hybdrid LMP1 cars weight limit of 870kg).

http://www.sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ ... confirmed/

This is good as the Hybrid systems must prove their worth (I.e. their power advantage must outweigh their weight disadvantage)... It is not quite perfect (I would probably knock off another 30kg from the LMP1-L minimum weight down to about 770kg, but we're getting somewhere!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Bob Brown

Honda is really getting back into higher tier racing. 6 LMP2 cars for 2015!

mikeerfol

Bob Brown wrote:Honda is really getting back into higher tier racing. 6 LMP2 cars for 2015!
2 actually. 4 of the 6 will probably go to USC.

Pierce89

mikeerfol wrote:
Bob Brown wrote:Honda is really getting back into higher tier racing. 6 LMP2 cars for 2015!
2 actually. 4 of the 6 will probably go to USC.
Are you saying the USC isn't top tier racing? The strongest gt field in the world is in the USC.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

djos

WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

You need to watch V8SC, in qually most of the field are within 1second of the pole time!
"In downforce we trust"

stefan_
stefan_

Brabham name aiming to return to FIA WEC in LMP2

Brabham, one of the most successful and iconic names in motorsport history, is aiming to be back in the midst of racing once again at the highest levels… and its target is the FIA World Endurance Championship.

David Brabham, ex-F1 driver, Le Mans winner and multiple sportscar champion, has today launched Project Brabham which is an innovative model of open source racing to build and fund a sustainable team. It is planned that the motorsport community can become a key part of the team and shape its future through crowd-funding.

Brabham aims to return to the track in the FIA World Endurance Championship next season with a three-year LMP2 programme. In year four, the marque aims to return as a constructor by way of LMP1, with firm intentions of winning the only world title for sportscars and the greatest endurance race on earth, the Le Mans 24 Hours.

"We have endured a long and testing journey to protect and bring the Brabham name back under the family's control, and then decide the next step in the journey of this iconic brand,” said David Brabham, son of three-time F1 Champion, the late Sir Jack Brabham. “I have long dreamt of seeing the Brabham team back out on the track, winning at the highest level and continuing the legacy my father laid down when he first started the team in the Sixties.

“Looking at the normal racing model was not exciting or sustainable enough for me to rebuild the team from scratch. For me to bring Brabham back we have to do things differently. After careful consideration and research we have created a new model of open source racing, which will bring fans closer to the action, inspire drivers and engineers around the world and offer the rare opportunity to be a part of this new, but historical, race team.

“Project Brabham gives people the chance to be part of the team from the start. Once we have built a large community we will start to see the power of a collective force that will attract the funds and partners to make this journey a success. Come and join us and create another piece of history.”

For full details, visit the Project Brabham Indiegogo crowd-funding page http://igg.me/at/project-brabham

via FIAWEC.com
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Pierce89

djos wrote:You need to watch V8SC, in qually most of the field are within 1second of the pole time!
That's a little different. In v8 they all run the same chassis. Besides technically v8s are touring cars rather than gts.
As an aside, Marcos is ready to reclaim his title next year.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Belatti
Belatti

djos wrote:You need to watch V8SC, in qually most of the field are within 1second of the pole time!
Argentinian TC has 40 cars in 1 second....
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

Porsche to build new LMP1 WEC challenger for 2015

Porsche will build a new LMP1 car for its second year back in top-level sportscar racing next season.

Bosses of the German manufacturer's P1 programme in the World Endurance Championship have revealed that this year's 919 Hybrid is undergoing a complete redesign for next season, which will include producing a new monocoque.

They have stressed, however, that the concept of the car and its hybrid powertrain will not be dramatically altered for season two.

Porsche LMP1 technical director Alex Hitzinger said: "It will be pretty much a new car, and that was the decision from the beginning of the programe.

"It was always the plan that we would do a new tub and redesign the car based on what we'd learned in the first year of racing.

"We are a new design team and we can't be expected to correctly optimise our first design shot."

Porsche team principal Andreas Seidl added that the 2015 car would be "designed from scratch" but would be an "evolution not a revolution" of the existing 919 concept.

The plan is that the new car, which appears likely to retain the 919 type number, will be tested for the first time at the end of this year.

Porsche has also yet to reveal whether it will increase the level of energy retrieval for 2015 and move from the six megajoule class to the higher 8MJ division.

"It is open again and we will evaluate the situation in testing," explained Seidl.

RIVALS MAKING TWEAKS

Toyota will continue into next season with an updated version of the existing TS040 HYBRID with, according to Toyota Motorsport technical director Pascal Vasselon, "no big evolutions".

It has also admitted that it is working on a move to 8MJ, but has yet to make a final decision.

Audi has stated that it will retain its existing concept for its 2015 WEC challenger and that it is trying to increase its level of hybrid power, which can be interpreted as an attempt to move from the two to 4MJ class.
via Autosport.com

SilverArrow10

I think losing Lapierre is one of the best things the number 8 Toyota could do to win the championship, I mean it is almost completely down to him that this car didn't win both Le mans and the race in Austin because he crashed in the rain.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Pierce89

Belatti wrote:
Argentinian TC has 40 cars in 1 second....
Tc2000 is awesome. I think Pechito,this year, has shown the world that Argentina knows how to race.