Cheating in air restrictor?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Scania
Scania

Cheating in air restrictor?

there are some metal for moduling is breathable, about 30%. is it work to use this metal to make air restrictor, part of air would not through the restriced hole, but in the restrictor to suck more air?

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Cheating in air restrictor?

...What?

If it's visible or obvious that air can enter after the restrictor, it will clearly be illegal.

Scania
Scania

Lycoming wrote:...What?

If it's visible or obvious that air can enter after the restrictor, it will clearly be illegal.
but it is invisible
that material looks like a solid metal but 30% of surface is invisible hole, it is for plastic moduling.

that's y I said "cheating", it IS ILLEGAL, but invisible

Giblet
Giblet

Assuming it gets past scrutineers and assuming these holes are made by laser and invisible to the eye, I think they would soon get clogged up with dust and oil.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

neilbah
neilbah

Toyota tampered with the restrictor in rally and it got them excluded from the championship. Max Mosley was president of the FIA then so I think the scrutineers would be avidly checking for the legality In f1

Scania
Scania

neilbah wrote:Toyota tampered with the restrictor in rally and it got them excluded from the championship. Max Mosley was president of the FIA then so I think the scrutineers would be avidly checking for the legality In f1
the toyota's 1 have movable parts, my concept is still a solid, but some nano size hole in the material
Giblet wrote:Assuming it gets past scrutineers and assuming these holes are made by laser and invisible to the eye, I think they would soon get clogged up with dust and oil.
yup, this would be a problem, and how much air can pass the material is another.
So I hope someone who are expert in material can answer me.
for dust & oil, I think clean it after every practice & race by ultrasonic would be fix

Giblet
Giblet

If you are looking at this from a pure cheating perspective, then the engine adjusting (or being adjusted) for the extra air would be obvious.

They would have to carry more fuel to match the air. If not everything will just run hot and inefficiently.

Any professionally run series will spot something amiss. No low end budget series entrants would be able to afford it.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Scania
Scania

Giblet wrote:If you are looking at this from a pure cheating perspective, then the engine adjusting (or being adjusted) for the extra air would be obvious.

They would have to carry more fuel to match the air. If not everything will just run hot and inefficiently.

Any professionally run series will spot something amiss. No low end budget series entrants would be able to afford it.
a small pieces of machined that material is around 2000hkd(1usd = 7.8hkd), it is not a huge budget if it is really work for a series u need around $500k hkd to finish a season.

As the restrictor as the 1.6T slower then a N2000 car, event after find tune, the max power won't more then 220hp, the heat & loading won't be a problem

but air flow sensor single will go crazy as u suck extra air after that.

Richard
Richard

Is this an existing material used for vacuum forming? If so please can you post a link?

IMHO This material would only work for a low volume of air extracted from a mould over a time frame of a few seconds. The holes will be so small that the friction/boundary/edge effects will limit air flow so there would be no appreciable difference to the total air intake on a car. It'd also get blocked very quickly.

You could do some simple sums by finding a data sheet for an industrial air filter that tells you the hole size and flow rates then extrapolate that to your tiny holes.

Scania
Scania

richard_leeds wrote:Is this an existing material used for vacuum forming? If so please can you post a link?

IMHO This material would only work for a low volume of air extracted from a mould over a time frame of a few seconds. The holes will be so small that the friction/boundary/edge effects will limit air flow so there would be no appreciable difference to the total air intake on a car. It'd also get blocked very quickly.

You could do some simple sums by finding a data sheet for an industrial air filter that tells you the hole size and flow rates then extrapolate that to your tiny holes.
http://cv-steel.en.made-in-china.com/pr ... Steel.html
http://www.linkedin.com/company/donggua ... els-co-ltd
called pm-35

MadMatt
MadMatt

What if you block the air-restrictor with a tennis ball and then engine doesn't die? Busted!

g-force_addict
g-force_addict

Scania wrote:there are some metal for moduling is breathable, about 30%. is it work to use this metal to make air restrictor, part of air would not through the restriced hole, but in the restrictor to suck more air?
Many sanctioning bodies will plug the restrictor shut and the engine MUST choke itself off.
I heard that in order to discourage cheating they are about to place you laying on the floor mouth gagged, hands and feet tied a few tens of yards in front of your vehicle.
Something like this
If plugging the restrictor shuts off the engine, then you both pass the inspection and save your life, if not well nobody cares about cheaters.
LOL

About the only 'legal' cheating would be to analyse your car aerodynamics and place the restrictor in a higher air pressure area.
If allowed then you can add some aerodynamic embodiments to increase that air pressure even more.

R19St
R19St

Cheating in air restrictor

You may have to make something. I don't know of anything available off the shelf, but you may want to call EC monday. They may have them?
1fatp8uh3k5159596