Isle of Man TT needs a rethink?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
ringo

Re: Isle of Man TT needs a rethink?

bdr529 wrote:If you think the TT is crazy then you need to watch some Irish Road Racing,
this is where they get the balls to race the TT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zWf-6UzQUA
Thanks for the responses by the way..

Yes i can see that these men are insane. I don't think they see the sport as a career. They probably live it one event at a time.
It's probably like a funeral service with a bike engine as the organ and it gets postponed if you survive to the end of the program.

So i see where some say, let them do what they want with their lives. I agree that every man should have his freedom to do with his life as he pleases. I guess it was the marketing part of it and the cliche comments that comes out when one of these guys gets their death wish and their family is left in shock.

Interesting topic i guess.. Where can the line be drawn for social responsibility while not taking out the thrill?
For Sure!!

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

ringo wrote:
bdr529 wrote:If you think the TT is crazy then you need to watch some Irish Road Racing,

Interesting topic i guess.. Where can the line be drawn for social responsibility while not taking out the thrill?
What do you mean by drawing "the line for social responsibility?"

flynfrog

flyboy2160 wrote:
ringo wrote:

I believe the translation is forcing people to do what I want.

Pierce89

flynfrog wrote:
flyboy2160 wrote:
ringo wrote: ...
I believe the translation is forcing people to do what I want.
I get the feeling that Ringo has just maybe grown up in a country that has that big brother mentality. I wouldn't neccesarily think he just wants to force the world to behave how he wants so much as he just grew up.in that sort of place.

Edit: after I read the way he described road racers, I guess maybe, Ringo doesn't understand that a large portion of people get a thrill from speed and danger and he doesn't like what he doesn't understand. When he also says they look "stupid,ignorant, or crazy", I guess he believes we should all be pussies.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

Pierce89 wrote: Id give 100 up votes if I could. Was the atmo at the Northwest 200 anything like the TT?
The TT restricts casual spectators as you can only get there by ferry with a bike or fly in and then be stuck in around Douglas. Most take the ferry. If the weather is looking good the plan is first week is practice, Sat day off, Sunday is Mad Sunday (for the F1 crowd just u-tube or wiki, mountain section open to public, one way only, no speed limit, anything - 200hp bike, car, van, tourist bus is on the course), 2nd week is racing, staggered start. You get 60,000 bikers there for part of the two weeks of fast bikes during the day and a lot of beer and fun at night.

NW200 is held between three villages in Northern Ireland. Shorter course with a bigger crowd ~150k, so you get bikers and normal families out there looking on for the race weekend. Higher top speeds into the braking zones, 208 was clocked there, closer racing. The circuit is not as technical and is VERY bumpy compared to IOM. Both are great events if I only had to pick one to go back to it would be IOM.

There are many more road racing events in Ireland/IOM and some awesome track races that you could easily pick a vacation with some flavor :)

strad

This years SuperBike race ..
click photo for video
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Sombrero
Sombrero

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qds9Of4qw-M[/youtube]

Great documentary following Guy Martin, John Mc Guinness, Ian Hutchinson and the the flying ManXman Conor Cummins training and racing during the 2010 TT...

In memory of Simon Andrews, Bob Price and Karl Harris and all those who have gone before them.

SectorOne

ringo wrote:Yes i can see that these men are insane
People used to think that back in the day, even with F1 drivers when they died like flies.

turns out they are some of the most mentally stable people on the planet so insane they are not :)
They just got balls the size of the moon but it´s all calculated risks they are willing to take because they are in.......control.

They only do it because they feel they have control over the situation, remove the control and only insane people would do it, because an insane person does not care about control, he´s insane remember ;)

Same with F1. No sane person would push an F1 car around the streets of Monaco if he felt he was in no control over the situation. You hear it alot when there´s a long break pedal etc, their voice isn´t as straight as it usually is over the radio.
-

As for TT, i hope it stays like this for hundreds of years. Nothing is even close to this. Not even close.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Cam

This might need a split into a new thread for "risk vs reward / control vs uncontrolled".

Here's a video with some stunning video of a world record attempt for longest car jump. The driver talks about risk, control and what he'll do if he fails. This is an important topic and is goes directly to some of the core concepts of motorsport, safety, the 'show' and reasoning why people continue to be prepared to risk it all. Enjoy.

“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

strad

Yes i can see that these men are insane

Let me see your Psychologists degree or apologize to all those who love to race.
Many of us would say that you are insane to come to a racing site and denigrate those that race. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dobbster71

Been to the TT a few times as a friend of mine lives on the Isle of Man.
Nothing needs to be changed at all. As many here have stated, this is one of the last places where like minded people can test themselves without "Big Brother"intervening.
I'm not a great fan of bike racing but love the fact that the roads get closed & you can drive/ride like hell on them. It's not just bikes that get to have fun on the old course. I've driven my MX-5 on the closed course, many years ago.
Long may it continue!
For car fans, just look at this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6cFBa17itY[/youtube]
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

Cam

Awesome video - thanks for sharing it.
Mark Higgins wrote:What you focus on is what you draw yourself towards.
=D>
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

bdr529

ringo wrote: Then what gets to me more is hearing " he was a hero and a good man, and a legend of the sport" when in truth the guy who died was some kind of mad lunatic that may have been a scumbag.
If you hear them say " he was a hero and a good man, and a legend of the sport" then you know their referring to
"Yer Maun" Joey Dunlop - King of the Mountain

Cam

ringo wrote:Yes i can see that these men are insane.
Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction
The Isle of Man TT Hall of Fame wrote:The Isle of Man TT Hall of Fame recognises the incredible characters whose skills, achievements and bravery have set them apart and who have made major contributions to the legend of the Tourist Trophy.
Wow. Do you really believe that? Can you please post some evidence to support that? Because otherwise it's sounds quite hypocritical, narrow minded and factually incorrect.
ringo wrote:I don't think they see the sport as a career. They probably live it one event at a time.
The Isle of Man TT Hall of Fame wrote:Joey Dunlop OBE, MBE
A true legend, Joey Dunlop’s success on the Mountain Course is something that will live on forever and it is incredibly doubtful whether anyone will ever come near his amazing record haul of 26 victories. The wins came between 1977 and 2000 and were littered with records along the way and the quiet man from Ballymoney was without doubt the supreme, all-time master of the 37-¾ mile TT circuit.
The Isle of Man TT Hall of Fame wrote:Giacomo Agostini
The most successful world championship rider of all time, Giacomo Agostini was a works MV Agusta rider who made his TT debut in 1965 and for the next eight years he firmly established himself as one of the Isle of Man greats.
Do they not appear to be careers?

While you're entitled to your opinion, the evidence would suggest you're way off.
― Socrates

rjsa
rjsa

The PC police will ruin it all. Passing judgment on everyone and everything. Just wait and see.