World Endurance Championship 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: World Endurance Championship 2015

An LMP1 engine has to be good for 5000 km, surely an F1 engine would not be designed for 5000 km. The other is that an F1 engine configuration may not be the best configuration from an efficiency stand point.
djos wrote: I still think another OEM like Michelin could produce a tire that lasts for 1/3rd the race but could still be run flat-out on - heck the red side-wall tires (super-soft) FireStone (aka Bridgestone) make for the IndyCar series seem to have better racing characteristics, despite their short life-span, than the F1 Pirelli tires.
How can you run flat out but only have the tyres last 1/3rd the race? If all laps could be at 100% up to that 1/3rd distance, why would you change tyres?

One thing you don't seem to understand is that when you have a spec tyre, the performance of that tyre is completely arbitrary. Without competition the tyre manufacturer isn't going to invest hundreds of millions to make the best race tyre possible.

Artur Craft

Jonnycraig wrote:Last year they were asked to provide rocks to go with the untried new engines and did exactly that.
I don't think I have ever witnessed "rock hard" tyres from Pirelli, regardless of what they claim to be requested of. Their tyres were still fastly degrading last year, almost like on previous years.

The difference between a fresh tyre and a 10 lap old one is already huge. For instance, the Softs lasted for 7 laps, at Interlagos, and the Mediums, for 20. Couple of weeks later, LMP1s were double stinting their sets which meant more than the whole F1 GP(over 70 laps). How is that rock hard for 2014 Pirellis?

A good news about Le Mans this year is that the tv cameras will be on for the entire time.

mikeerfol

mrluke
mrluke

yup F1 with 1,000 bhp in 2 years time isnt going to be much to shout about :lol:

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Just remember it's 1350hp for a couple of seconds a lap only, and then ~580-600hp the rest of the lap

djos

Cold Fussion wrote:Just remember it's 1350hp for a couple of seconds a lap only, and then ~580-600hp the rest of the lap
Still mightily impressive and great for blazing down those long straights at Le Mans ... I cant wait!!! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

djos wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:Just remember it's 1350hp for a couple of seconds a lap only, and then ~580-600hp the rest of the lap
Still mightily impressive and great for blazing down those long straights at Le Mans ... I cant wait!!! 8)
The top speed will still be governed mostly by the ICE power so they wont be much different to previous years; they're still quite down on power compared to the ~2009 era cars.

kudryavchik
kudryavchik

Not a couple - about 15-20 secs

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

kudryavchik wrote:Not a couple - about 15-20 secs
At Le Mans the Porsche's can use ~750 horsepower from the electric motors for 15 seconds, at Spa the 8MJ class is closer to 5.5 MJ per lap from memory, which amounts to about 10 seconds. Consider that at Le Mans there are 4 long straights + the start finish line, it means the deployment time for each straight will be limited to 3-5 seconds at a time.

FW17

I thought that the IC engine of the Porsche was less than 520 HP

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

WilliamsF1 wrote:I thought that the IC engine of the Porsche was less than 520 HP
One of the EVO mag videos quoted the 2014 R18 ICE at 576 hp, so i guessed the 919 engine to have around the same.

FW17

Toyota has less than 520 HP, not sure they would settle for a NA engine if it is 50HP behind the turbo engines.

Porsche engine should be less powerful than Toyota as they are running lesser fuel

PS- I am only using what RaceCarEngineering had quoted

mrluke
mrluke

Wast the SPA 6 hours a new record distance for a 6 hour race?

That doesn't seem to match the way down on power position.

Potentially I could accept it is due to reliability but im pretty sure a new lap record was achieved and from what the commentators were saying they expect the break the lap record at every circuit this year. Again that sounds very odd if the cars are soo down on power.

But hey, lets not let reality get in the way of hating those damn evil electric hybrid cars.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

WilliamsF1 wrote:Toyota has less than 520 HP, not sure they would settle for a NA engine if it is 50HP behind the turbo engines.

Porsche engine should be less powerful than Toyota as they are running lesser fuel

PS- I am only using what RaceCarEngineering had quoted
Whatever the actual number ICE number is, if the 1350 hp number is to believe then it just changes slightly how long they can use the electric motor for.
mrluke wrote:Wast the SPA 6 hours a new record distance for a 6 hour race?

That doesn't seem to match the way down on power position.

Potentially I could accept it is due to reliability but im pretty sure a new lap record was achieved and from what the commentators were saying they expect the break the lap record at every circuit this year. Again that sounds very odd if the cars are soo down on power.
Let's not forget that this years race was completely non interrupted by safety cars ( I don't think there was even a single slow zone?) so that will help a lot as well. I expect the distance record will be broken at Le Mans this year as well (baring major reliability problems or some huge accidents again). The 2009 spec cars were close to 700 hp, so for much of the straight they are down on power compared to 2009. It's important to remember though that 700 hp was traction limited for x time, while the new cars with AWD are far less traction limited and thus accelerate far more rapidly, which potentially (or does so completely) negates the average power advantage the 2009 cars have. Aerodynamics advances in 6 years as well.
mrluke wrote:But hey, lets not let reality get in the way of hating those damn evil electric hybrid cars.
This is out of line. The hybrid formula is fantastic, but that doesn't mean it's correct to think of the cars as "1300" hp as the media like to hype it, when it should be viewed as the ICE power + the hybrid class energy allocation (which they can deploy as the see best); but I guess this all stems from the non technical people not properly understanding power and energy.

langwadt
langwadt

Cold Fussion wrote:
djos wrote:
The top speed will still be governed mostly by the ICE power so they wont be much different to previous years; they're still quite down on power compared to the ~2009 era cars.
you can kinda see it here: https://youtu.be/mHc0R1ePX1w?t=41s

out the of the corner the Porsche just fliers past the Audi like it was rocket powered, but then the top speed is similar