World Endurance Championship 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Tim.Wright

Re: World Endurance Championship 2015

TurboLag wrote:
Harvey wrote:Can someone explain to me how the rear wheels are driven?
They aren't :)

They are driven by the hybrid system. Harvests from the front, delivers power to the rear.
Not the engineer at Force India

dmjunqueira

Espetacular engineering from Nissan! =D>

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

This is awesome, Nissan has become my favorite LeMans team simply for having the balls to go with something so radical. It'll be interesting to see how it fares.

F1, please take some lessons from WEC.

dmjunqueira

Also, Nissan provided an astonishing level of details...No "top secret" design BS.
They just got a new fan because of this. :wink:

Sombrero
Sombrero

The most interesting racecar since several decades !

SteveRacer

TurboLag wrote:
There is a long driveshaft from the Flybrid KERS system. I don't believe the system was fitted for the photo shoot.

Harvey
Harvey

SteveRacer wrote:
TurboLag wrote:
There is a long driveshaft from the Flybrid KERS system. I don't believe the system was fitted for the photo shoot.
I'd be interested to see this when it's fitted. Seems like they're gonna have a whacking great blockage in the middle of their lovingly crafted tunnel!

Tim.Wright

I don't think the driveshaft runs through the tunnel. It's rumoured to be either some sort of drop gear arrangement or the motor is embedded into the wall of the chassis.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Are they running some kind of FRIC suspension?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Tim.Wright

Hydraulic rear anti roll bar according to their press release. Front looks to be purely mechanical but has a wierd long vertical rocker.

Pull-rod front and rear by the looks to, but with very unconventional packaging.

They have been really open about all the technology. I was staring at the hydraulic suspension lines for ages before I realised all the info on it was already released by Nissan.

MadMatt
MadMatt

I am still unsure about these huge tunnels. I see no strake and they are so big that surely the low pressure behind them cannot be enough to suck all this volume. Not only the drag penalty for such big surfaces will be high, but I am pretty sure the air flow in them won't be as smooth as they want. Again I don't have access to CFD or wind tunnel testing so for sure they must know what they are doing, but I find really strange to have these massive tunnels and not much to draw from the front.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I dunno if their goal is to do the double diffuser deal, but I think they are using it to extract the front diffuser flow, which normally would dump out the side...

Its basically replacing the over the floor out the side like above with over the floor out the back. I'd think the key is not have obstruction, and it also serve the purpose to fill the base area and reduce drag. Though I am curious if this can't serve the same purpose as double diffuser, if it allows for expansion anyway...

FW17

Tim.Wright wrote:I don't think the driveshaft runs through the tunnel. It's rumoured to be either some sort of drop gear arrangement or the motor is embedded into the wall of the chassis.

http://www.racer.com/images/igallery/re ... 6-80-c.jpg
I don't think the Torotrek system uses a motor; I still think the drive shaft from the unit located behind the engine in the cockpit and the rear wheels are connected.

Artur Craft

RacingManiac wrote:I dunno if their goal is to do the double diffuser deal, but I think they are using it to extract the front diffuser flow, which normally would dump out the side...
Its basically replacing the over the floor out the side like above with over the floor out the back. I'd think the key is not have obstruction, and it also serve the purpose to fill the base area and reduce drag. Though I am curious if this can't serve the same purpose as double diffuser, if it allows for expansion anyway...
That's my view on it too. Will be interesting to see how much downforce they get with this.

I'm massively looking forward to this:
"We don't want to be like the other manufacturers who are guarded, who keep everything under wraps and only tell you what they want to know," he said. "We are going to be wide open. Come on in, see it all, tell your story however you want—guts and all, and we plan to do the same. Post our setup sheets online. Look at all the little technical details, the spring rates, or whatever. Make this your own car, learn from it, ask questions." Darren Cox

Artur Craft

Harvey wrote: I'd be interested to see this when it's fitted. Seems like they're gonna have a whacking great blockage in the middle of their lovingly crafted tunnel!
Items at the front like turbos and other systems have been elevated to make way for the tunnel inlets, and from a packaging standpoint, you won't find a spare inch from top to bottom or side to side under the expansive hood. I'd feel sorry for the person who drops their car keys in the engine bay, because they might never be found.

Dragging the 3D model to the left of the screen, Marshall took us to the back of the car,and it was there that we found another engineering solution that breaks new ground. The complex engine and Flybrid system at the front of the car works in unison to turn the front tires through driveshafts that look like bronze tree trunks, and with the sheer volume of engine-hybrid power potentially exceeding what the front tires can handle, the Nissan has been designed to send some of the hybrid power to the skinny rear tires if desired.

How that power reaches the back tires is the good part.
Picture the loooooong driveshaft extending from the front of the car to the back of the car, terminating at the rear axle line. It connects to a differential housing that scales upward—high enough for driveshafts to reach across and over the through-flow aero tunnels. Those driveshafts connect to individual gearboxes that also sit in tall housings. With the high differential housing connected to the high outrigger gearboxes via driveshafts, the rear wheels are turned by short driveshafts from the base of the gearboxes.
The entire exercise is done to prevent sticking driveshafts through the tunnels and reducing aero efficiency. Anyone other than Bowlby would have skipped the Herculean task and lived with the extra drag. Thankfully, he and Eakin, the team's gearbox genius, chose performance over ease.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports ... -lm-nismo/