[WEC 2015]Nissan GT-R LM NISMO

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Callum

Re: [WEC 2015]Nissan GT-R LM NISMO

WaikeCU wrote:
Callum wrote:
I'm afraid that I couldn't disagree more. Yes, you want someone to bring the car home in a single piece but you also want someone who can drive quickly (and in LMP1, overtake consistantly and safely). I'm sure that it is relatively easy to bring the car home in one piece when you're not actually racing anyone.

I hate to bash people, and I realise that I am, but there must be a hundred better choices than Chilton out there. - He doesn't even have any sportscar experience and he's getting straight in at the top...
He has experience. Back in 2007 he teamed with his brother Tom racing for Arena International Motorsports in the 1000km of Silverstone. They ended 5th overall.
I'm happy to stand corrected, however there is experience and then there is a single race!

wesley123
wesley123

machin wrote:---
I say it's more of a double aim. The low drag will obviously benefit on the straights, but that isn't a huge thing anymore at Le Mans(compared to the days where the back-straight was one long straight).

I think it's gains are more in overtaking traffic and reducing fuel consumption. Afaik these cars are fuel limited based on stopping strategy(That is, they have to stop for fuel before they have to stop for tires), thus, consuming less fuel will allow you to do longer stints and stop fewer times over the course of the 24hrs.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Belatti
Belatti

I doubt tire consumption of this vehicle is less than a "conventional" LPM1. The 2 front tires have to do 90% of the work.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Tim.Wright

wesley123 wrote:The low drag will obviously benefit on the straights, but that isn't a huge thing anymore at Le Mans(compared to the days where the back-straight was one long straight).
Power and drag are still the primary performance factors at Lemans, even with the chicanes.
Not the engineer at Force India

Sombrero
Sombrero

Harvey
Harvey

So if this goes to the Nordschleife, will it then be the holder of the FWD ultimate lap record...?

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

matt21

Looks like some kind of FRIC
Last edited by matt21 on 04 Mar 2015, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

matt21

dmjunqueira

Interesting video...Almost a "Nissan GTR LM Nismo for dummies":

It also shows some pictures of the internal parts of the car that I haven't seen anywhere else (like kers, for example).

PlatinumZealot

RacingManiac wrote:Someone found some pictures with the previous NISMO Flickr pics that a someone is working on a part looks like an air-to-water intercooler...
THe intercoolers are watercooled. The intercoolers are outside the V. The water pipes are piped to the front.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

machin

Only a few days now until we see this car on track with all the others... Should be interesting... Do we know yet whether it will run purely FWD or have they got the power transmission to the rear sorted?

Questions which I'm looking forward to seeing (partially) answered are:

1. How much top speed advantage (if any) will it have?
2. Will it be slower through, and out of, the corners?
3. How will the two of those combine into an overall laptime?
4. How will tyre degradation compare to the other cars?

I guess Q4 might not be easy to ascertain from testing, unless we see some full length stint simulations....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

joseff

Rear wheel drive might be out of the picture for 2015, with the FWD car already being overweight at launch.
Last edited by joseff on 26 May 2015, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

machin

In a way, running in "FWD only" is a good thing for us as it means we get to see what a purpose built (i.e not production-based)1000bhp+ FWD sportscar is capable of... Whilst running identical rules to the existing cars, and therefore not getting mudied by too many variables (the main "problem" imo, with the Deltawing project). 4WD can come later and we'll get to see how that improves things.... Unusual to see that progression played out for real... And supported by a factory-sized budget... Bring it on!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

fawe4
fawe4

280+km/h before the breaking point. Which track is it?