Moto GP 2016.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Sonador
Sonador

Re: Moto GP 2016.

J.A.W. wrote:
Sonador wrote:The engine was over revving because of wheelspin @ 340 kph...
Well, maybe they could use some aero-downforce winglets mounted to bear down on the rear axle?
No i don't think so, it is more a case of sorting the electronics out.
I would like to see all Aero banned from MotoGP :o

The griplevels change a lot during a race, so is is also up to the rider to control the wheelspinning.
Something where Rossi is very very good at, that is also part of the reason why he was so strong in Spain.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Sonador wrote:The engine was over revving because of wheelspin @ 340 kph :shock: and because Rossi had a constant slipstream behind Lorenzo, he was something like 5 kph faster on the main straight. That puts a lot of strain on an engine.
Motorsport did write an article about it.

It sucks for the chamionship :(

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/y ... es-739881/

*Al above is speculation off course *
It was only over revving because of the small "crest" near the end of the straight. Lightened the rear wheel which causes the rev to raise. For all bikes...

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Sonador wrote:
J.A.W. wrote:
Sonador wrote:The engine was over revving because of wheelspin @ 340 kph...
Well, maybe they could use some aero-downforce winglets mounted to bear down on the rear axle?

I would like to see all Aero banned from MotoGP
You cannot be serious S-, who could hang on to the handlebars of a 300km/h + naked bike - for the length of a G.P.?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

turbof1

He obviously means winglets, not the normal bodywork aerodynamically optimized to minimize drag.
#AeroFrodo

Andres125sx

Sonador wrote:The engine was over revving because of wheelspin @ 340 kph :shock: and because Rossi had a constant slipstream behind Lorenzo, he was something like 5 kph faster on the main straight. That puts a lot of strain on an engine.
Motorsport did write an article about it.

It sucks for the chamionship :(

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/y ... es-739881/

*Al above is speculation off course *
Oh that makes sense then :D

I´d like to see myself how big those bumps are, so I´ve done a search fo onboard cameras. Watching Lorenzo´s onboard it is very easy to see, at the final part of the video (timcode 1:00) when they enter the straight, look at the rear tire. When they´re passing the grid the rear wheel suffers some significant compressions considering that´s constant acceleration on a straight, showing the bumps they´re talking about

edit: But it´s after those bumps when they reach the crest and the rear wheel dissapear from the camera FOV (extension and lose of traction), while he´s still accelerating.

And that´s exactly where they need to brake :o

edit2: the overreving is even shown on the displayed telemetry, revs are increasing constantly until the end of the straight, and then there´s some overreving (spikes) when they´ve passed the crest (1:08-1:09)

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Here below, is the official Yamaha factory explanation for the engine 'failure' - due to excess rpm in the last G.P...
Note: it was apparently an ECU problem, not a mechanical 'failure' ( no, no - of course not, that would never happen).

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2016/Jun/160602a.htm

Andres125sx

I´m in shock, Luis Salom has passed away after a crash on turn 12 of Montmelo in FP2

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2016/06/0 ... lom/202682

No images, some riders say he lost the front and went straight into the barriers. Some added that´s a short exit with tarmac so he didn´t slow down too much and the impact was brutal

RIP

FW17

Andres125sx

He collided with his own bike instead of the air/water barriers, and I´m wondering if that would have happened with gravel exits... I think obviously no, but don´t think tarmac exits are to blame here either, it was just some ******* bad luck

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Good effort from the ol' man VR to keep his cool, look after his tyres & hold off MM's end of race challenge.

Michelin stll appears to have questions to answer, & JL after being skittled by AI, likely due to rubber issues, wasn't happy.

MM now takes over on top of the points table, after pushing to the edge - but made it - by taking the mature, strategic 2nd place..

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

It has been a good season this far, I have even managed to get to a race.

Rossi looks like the guy with perhaps the best race pace this season, helped by the new tyres which seem to suit his style. Lorenzo is still super fast though he was faster on the bridgestones. Honda looks to be getting better too, MM is incredible rider, but I feel developing the bike around him isn't the way to produce the fastest bike because he is such a freak who could ride a donkey fast.

Big fan of Vinales, he is the real deal, fantastically committed and a new alien, Rossi will have his hands full next year. Ianone continues to disappoint, has the speed but something in his head is getting in the way of great results. Shame Stoner isn't on the Ducati.

Confused by Pedrosas decision to stay at Honda, he knows he will be playing second fiddle to MM, and I think the Suzuki bike would have really suit him. Shame to say it, but I reckon that decision was for the money, he had the chance to build his reputation up elsewhere but choose to stay - maybe he got assurances. On that, the Suzuki bike looks incredible into the corners, but slower on acceleration and top end out of it, but that bike is remarkable considering this is only the 2nd season back.

Redding disappointing on that Ducati, as is Crutchlow. Laverty is doing well though and has made the most of good luck to have some great finishes. I think Tito is better than his placings are showing, and would do well on a better bike.

The tech3 boys is an interesting case study. Pol is performing well this season, almost certainly because of the new tyres which is more rear end friendly, whereas Smith who pushed the front is suffering. Those guys who use the throttle to steer are excelling because they can push the rear more, whereas those guys who were very front end to carry corner speed and did well under the bridgestone are suffering..

Bad news about Luis, why on earth there was no gravel run of there makes no sense.

I'm posting on motogp elsewhere, not enough discourse in this forum on bikes to keep my attention and I have all but stopped watching F1 at the moment.

ClarkBT11

ClarkBT11 wrote: Looking forward to next weeks moto gp I hope Jorge drops it again. Rossi for the win.
Even when I raced, I never hoped for that to happen, I'm having to assume you've never crashed on a bike before[/quote]

Sorry I wasn't thinking about someone getting injured. Just Jorge out of the points.

I apologise for offending anyone.

Is there any news on mad joe's punishment, should get a race ban for that. Jorge was lucky he didn't fracture his ankle on the way down

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

ClarkBT11 wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote: Looking forward to next weeks moto gp I hope Jorge drops it again. Rossi for the win.
Even when I raced, I never hoped for that to happen, I'm having to assume you've never crashed on a bike before
Sorry I wasn't thinking about someone getting injured. Just Jorge out of the points.

I apologise for offending anyone.

Is there any news on mad joe's punishment, should get a race ban for that. Jorge was lucky he didn't fracture his ankle on the way down[/quote]

He will be starting from the back of the grid.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

I 'd reckon AI could feel justifiably pissed-off about any penalty for that..
His telemetry shows his approach speed was consistent with previous laps,
& it was JL who'd slowed up, due to his tyres going off.. & so, effectively baulking AI.

Not so different to what happened with JL slowing mid-corner in front of Miller at Silverstone last year,
- but in that instance it was Crutchlow who was collected.. & JL got off, scot-free.

IMO, JL has to accept responsibility for his part in such 'incidents'..

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:His telemetry shows his approach speed was consistent with previous laps,
source?