Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
dans79

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

For those that are interested, Alonso is out right now getting traffic/passing/being passed practice.
197 104 103 7

DiogoBrand

Manoah2u wrote:
16 May 2017, 19:04
DiogoBrand wrote:
16 May 2017, 07:59
Alonso is an incredible driver, I don't think that's latest news, but Indycar is a totally different animal to F1, and the difference from oval to road is even bigger, so I expect him to do well for a rookie but not too much beyond that. He still has 3mph to gain, and the latest are certainly the most difficult, and even if he's the best driver on the circuit, which wouldn't surprise me, his lack of experience will play a big part.
Not only it's a completely different car on a completely different type of circuit, it's also the most extreme race of the series. It would be amazing to see him win, but I don't expect any performance beyond "that's really impressive for a rookie".

One interesting feature I just found out about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndY4F6YUmvU

I mean, we just can't expect a driver to master this sort of thing in two weeks time, when others have several years' experience.
lol, he finished the Spanish GP, did debriefing, did some PR work, had some dinner, did some excersize (standard), boarded a plane to the states, landed, had some sleep, and at 9 sharp he had to step into the AndrettIndyClaren to do the test, which he topped. 3 mph to gain is nothing. As for experience; he has driven on the F1 indy track before, and given, that is different, it's not like it's all completely new territory. He's argued to still be one of the 3 best drivers in the world right now. He's the most experienced F1 driver on the grid right now. He's undoubtedly done plenty of hours of simulation work.

As for the different car, different circuit; we just have stepped from an old design format to a different design format which essentially brings a totally different car than last year.

and 'thats impressive for a rookie'? really, Alonso a rookie? no.

Alonso will do well, very well, of that i'm sure.
It's funny how negative people already are.

Graham hill actually won the indy. i don't get the fuss why it would be so 'impossible' for a multiple WDC who is argualy one of THE best out there not just now, but for decades in F1, a driver that was able to beat Schumacher,
a driver who is still bringing in a dog of a car miles ahead of his teammate.

I can also mention a certain other F1 driver that switched the other way around; coming from Champ Car, Indy, etc. Juan Pablo Montoya. He competed in F1 on the highest level, for the WDC, despite it supposedly being 'so different'. Did fantastic, is one of the legends of F1, and then went back and did great still. Jaques Villeneuve, another one who became a champion in F1, and then went back if i'm correct after a couple of years in f1.

I'm reading a lot of armchair engineers here that have written him off before he's good and sound in a indy car. jeesh. :roll: Why be so sore?

I sincerely hope Alonso will win it. I don't expect it at all, it would be insane if he does it. Realistically speaking, it's not going to happen. He can definately be very far up ahead, but to win on his first inception? I don't know if Graham managed to win it on his first try though, and what were the circumstances. It is possible though.

Hulkenberg won le mans, and i think he's a great driver, but not the calibre of Alonso. Yet he stepped into Le Mans, and won. Yes he has WEC experience. Still, he went from F1 to a le mans Win during a F1 season.
Why then wouldn't Alonso be able to win Indy?

And speaking about that, i'm sure if Alonso is given the proper vehicle, he can win Le Mans just as much as Hulkenberg did.
So you replied to say pretty much what I just said?
I watched last year's Indy 500 to have a more educated guess, and to be honest I think the most difficult factor to overcome isn't even pace, it's luck. You can have the best setup and then air temperature just messes all your aero up, you can have the best strategy but then a caution just catapults a backmarker into the lead. You can have a perfect race and then some moron just crashes you out, and so on. So if things play in his favor, he can definitely win, which is unlikely on your first try, but possible. If things don't play into his favor, then better luck next time.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Sorry, interpreted you wrong there i must have.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

CBeck113
CBeck113

Manoah2u wrote:
16 May 2017, 21:41
Sorry, interpreted you wrong there i must have.
That's ok Yoda :mrgreen:
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
Alonso is an incredible driver, I don't think that's latest news, but Indycar is a totally different animal to F1, and the difference from oval to road is even bigger, so I expect him to do well for a rookie but not too much beyond that. He still has 3mph to gain, and the latest are certainly the most difficult, and even if he's the best driver on the circuit, which wouldn't surprise me, his lack of experience will play a big part.
Not only it's a completely different car on a completely different type of circuit, it's also the most extreme race of the series. It would be amazing to see him win, but I don't expect any performance beyond "that's really impressive for a rookie".

I mean, we just can't expect a driver to master this sort of thing in two weeks time, when others have several years' experience.
lol, he finished the Spanish GP, did debriefing, did some PR work, had some dinner, did some excersize (standard), boarded a plane to the states, landed, had some sleep, and at 9 sharp he had to step into the AndrettIndyClaren to do the test, which he topped. 3 mph to gain is nothing. As for experience; he has driven on the F1 indy track before, and given, that is different, it's not like it's all completely new territory. He's argued to still be one of the 3 best drivers in the world right now. He's the most experienced F1 driver on the grid right now. He's undoubtedly done plenty of hours of simulation work.

As for the different car, different circuit; we just have stepped from an old design format to a different design format which essentially brings a totally different car than last year.

Graham hill actually won the indy. i don't get the fuss why it would be so 'impossible' for a multiple WDC who is argualy one of THE best out there not just now, but for decades in F1, a driver that was able to beat Schumacher,

I can also mention a certain other F1 driver that switched the other way around; coming from Champ Car, Indy, etc. Juan Pablo Montoya. He competed in F1 on the highest level, for the WDC, despite it supposedly being 'so different'. Did fantastic, is one of the legends of F1, and then went back and did great still. Jaques Villeneuve, another one who became a champion in F1, and then went back if i'm correct after a couple of years in f1.

I'm reading a lot of armchair engineers here that have written him off before he's good and sound in a indy car. jeesh. :roll: Why be so sore?

I sincerely hope Alonso will win it. I don't expect it at all, it would be insane if he does it. Realistically speaking, it's not going to happen. He can definately be very far up ahead, but to win on his first inception? I don't know if Graham managed to win it on his first try though, and what were the circumstances. It is possible though.

Hulkenberg won le mans, and i think he's a great driver, but not the calibre of Alonso. Yet he stepped into Le Mans, and won. Yes he has WEC experience. Still, he went from F1 to a le mans Win during a F1 season.

And speaking about that, i'm sure if Alonso is given the proper vehicle, he can win Le Mans just as much as Hulkenberg did.
Totally agree. And don't forget that Nigel Mansell went and won the Indycar (or whatever it was called at the time) championship on his first go...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

a1b2i3r45

One of the best moves of the day. Apart from that, he was a bit off the pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmUX6nFKNZk

basti313
basti313

adrianjordan wrote:
17 May 2017, 09:24
Manoah2u wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

Totally agree. And don't forget that Nigel Mansell went and won the Indycar (or whatever it was called at the time) championship on his first go...
Yes, but it is no longer "the old days". Not who is the fastest driver defines who will win, they are too close for that. The driver with the best tire and fuel strategy will win.
The big question is if Alo will profit from his fuel saving experience in F1 or if the Indy drivers are better on this as they are more experienced with these particular cars.
Don`t russel the hamster!

marvin78
marvin78

At Indy 500 you also and nearly always need a big portion of luck to win. I never liked the oval races in IndyCar. Show instead of racing would decribe it best. But that's only my opinion.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Ye definitely, there isn't any specific recipe to win here. Everything can happen and a lot luck needed. :mrgreen:

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

ALO_Power wrote:
17 May 2017, 15:19
Ye definitely, there isn't any specific recipe to win here. Everything can happen and a lot of luck needed. :mrgreen:

mclaren111

I think Alonso should do the Indy 500 and Le Mans from 2018 to ensure he has enough time (age wise) to get the triple crown.

If he wins 2 of the first 4 flyaway's (and car is good since testing), then he can focus on F1.

Vasconia

When conditions are tricky Alonso seems to be ok:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... car-tricky

erlik
erlik

Fast Friday and it seems Alonso will finish 4th. Not bad for a rookie. I can not wait to see qualifications tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SameSame
SameSame

Alonso third so far! What a run :D :shock: :o