Racing in Argentina: Turismo Carretera / TopRace V6 / TC2000

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Belatti
Belatti

Racing in Argentina: Turismo Carretera / TopRace V6 / TC2000

What are your opinions about TC: Turismo Carretera, the most legendary and popular Argentine´s car racing championship?[/quote]
Last edited by Belatti on 13 May 2009, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Thought it stands for "Traction Control" :D

Not much coverage gets to us in Europe I'm afraid :cry:

Belatti
Belatti

Yeah, I know it doesnt gets coverage... but mind this:

- 1970s Ford Falcon, Chevrolet SS, Dodge GTX and Torino (glorious Argentine built car) absolute modified cars, with 3L 6Cyl. 400HP Engines
- 50 cars taking part of the row
- qualiys with 30 cars within 1 second and 13 winners in 16 races

Additional data: Juan Manuel Fangio was 1947 TC Champion before going to Europe to win 5 F1 Championships. That year he won a race that took part from BsAs to Caracas (venezuela), back and foward!

TRY THIS:
http://www.actc.org.ar/php/index.php
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

Belatti
Belatti

Here some screenshots of the new TC racing simulator

Coupe Chevy SS

A member of the development team testing the cars and making the setup

Dodge Polara

Ford Falcon

Torino

zac510
zac510

Looks like a silhouette series?

Belatti
Belatti

Sadly it is since 2000´s

Once upon a time, those were real 1970´s cars.

Belatti
Belatti

Hi you all TC fans!!! :roll:
Well, Hi you all (maybe 2 or 3) TC fans!!! :D

Here some good photos.
(Source) http://www.actc.org.ar/php/index.php

Belatti
Belatti

I´ll post some of TC2000 too! (Argentina equivalent to DTM, with Ford, Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, VW, Renault, Chrysler)
Source: http://www.tc2000.com.ar (click English version)

Santa Fe streets circuit

Ford Works Team

Fontana (former TC2000 Champion and Sauber F1) in his Toyota

Official Honda Civic

THE CHAMP

In the next episode I´ll send you the pitbabes :wink:

Belatti
Belatti

Re: TC: Turismo Carretera

A very sad day for TC: a 20Kg huge rear wheel smashed at 200Kmh at some people in the stands... One death and several injured people.
The wheel traveled 230m, elevated over a 1,5m barrier, broke the fences and hited a person who died inmediately.

Belatti
Belatti

I´m not used to new racing simulator (GP4 from 2002 is my last played game)

but this is just wow :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iNOkmKVJ1g

modbaraban
modbaraban

Belatti wrote:I´m not used to new racing simulator (GP4 from 2002 is my last played game)

but this is just wow :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iNOkmKVJ1g
AFAIK the sim is rFactor based. So you are unlikely to get superb graphics, but the physics is what counts.
http://www.rfactor.net/?page=news_30-Nov-actc

Giblet
Giblet

As a Union Glazier, I meet and work with lots of interesting people.

D. was an Argentinian that I worked with for a couple of years. Although he was in his late 50's, and I am 35, we bonded over our love for F1 and motorsport in general.

His stories of the passion of Argentinian race fans and racers was unbeleivable. Also his love for the Torino threw me at first, as I couldn't beleive I had never heard of this car before.

His wife was a court reporter who became a figure in the papers, and they had to move out of the country for fear of their lives. She was simply writing her memoirs, but they were construed as spying within the courts.

The upheaval of their family still has lasting resonance, but motorsport was always a great a outlet, be it watching TC, or being one of those crazy monkey's hanging off the sidecar of a tandem racing bike, with his face 2 inches above the road at 120km/h.

I'd like to see an Argentinian presence again in F1, if they're fans passion is half of what my friends is.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Belatti
Belatti

Old Argentine race fans are so proud about Torino here that there is even postcards or stamps like this (1969 racing version):

Mind that it was the golden age of Argentine car industry and that was the last and best "Argentinian" car.

An old story
http://www.ramblerrogue.com/torino1.htm
IN THE SPORT THING...

"In August of 1969 three Torinos were entered in the 84 Hours of Nurburgring in Germany -- in a chancy advertising and sport operation.

"The delegation presiding over it included Juan Manuel Fangio, Tibor Teleki, and Carlos Lobosco, who coordinated the effort. The motors were handled by engineer Lepper, but the attendance of Oreste Berta hinted at who was really in charge.

"The car number 3, driven by Eduardo Copello, Oscar Mauricio Franco, and someone named "Larry" surprised its rivals by finishing first in its category! It might have won in the general classification for number of laps, but a penalty took the absolute victory out of their hands. Today the story of the penalty sounds absurd -- suggesting the Torino should have stopped in the pits to repair the exhaust pipe but was penalized five laps and finished down that many from the number it had actually completed.
NOTE: "Larry" was a driver named Rodriguez Larreta

A standard car:

The car is simply beautiful from the point that I see, it. :P

If you visit this country there are two sport events that you can´t miss: a football match in Boca Jrs. stadium (its a popular said that the stadium doesnt tremble, it heartbeats when 50,000 people jumps together inside of it) and a TC race. :wink:

checkered

First, I was a bit

curious about the proportions of the TC chassis, but seeing the Torino the heritage of the design and the reasoning behind the dimensions are now more obvious. It isn't a shape that has been most widely adopted as a template but it has quickly "grown on me". And no wonder, as I have now learned that the stretched compact has a "great-uncle" in AMC and a "stylist" in Pininfarina. This car has character and it won't surprise me greatly if one day its successors once again emerge on the roads of Argentina and beyond.

Image linked from http://www.aatorino.ar
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

kevster145
kevster145

this is the first time i have seen anythng of this series, watched clips of the races on youtube and was impressed. if this is shown in the UK i will watch it.