Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Isle of Man TT

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Scuderia Nuvolari

Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Isle of Man TT

If you guys have any information or pictures, I would like to see them, please.
Any course that is or was on public roads, rallys included.

Sombrero

Re: Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Isle of Man TT

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOIRx_X1dSo[/youtube]

A bit late but this is something interesting for those who loved the Targa Florio.
The story of the race is brilliantly told. Nice shots, ghost track.

I can see clearly - From my diamond eyes - I'm going to the mountain with...

VV TARGA FLORIO VV

Tim.Wright

The Mille Miglia is now just a procession for show, but still its a nice show. I was working in Maranello a few years ago when they passed one stage through the Ferrari factory.

Not the engineer at Force India

strad

I know I must have put this up before:
1953 Mille Miglia
click photo for video
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

CBeck113

I had the luck to attend the Mille Miglia in 2012, thanks to some good Timing from my parents' visit and my wife's brilliant planning skills. They took a cruise from Florida to Venice, where we picked them up and spend the weekend in Lazize. My wife mentioned that some Kind of car thing was going on that weekend, in which I may be interested...Mille something or other...at which point I mildly flipped out =P~ . It was the 60th Anniversary of the Mercedes SL, so they organized most of the SLRs, including the Stirling Moss Versions, to be there. My wife is now a big fan of the SLR-SM, btw :D . I was in awe for most of the stage as the cars passed and did not get any good Pictures - between evening start and the bad camera / Video camera I stopped trying and just enjoyed this amazing experience. Here is a link for some good pics:

http://www.sportscardigest.com/mille-mi ... -pictures/

If anyone should have the chance to see it - DO IT!!!!! This is one of the few chances to see these cars running, which is how they should be seen. The SLRs were part of the client programs which are run by the manufacturers (Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari etc.) which is also quite nice and adds to the charm of the race. The civilians can also be entertaining - an old Fiat 500 was on the course and did a few laps around the circle where we were sitting, waving as he passed.
The fans were great there too - most of us had no voice left even before it was over. And the drivers react too - one of the SLRs drifted through the circle :o , and a MASERATI A6 GCS Serie II passed in it, almost running over my feet (that was one of the few pictures that was sharp). I'll upload the pics & vids when I find them...

EDIT: Here's the link to the pics: http://imgur.com/a/2WKjn
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

CBeck113

Sorry but the pics are a bit disorganized through the upload, but you can see that they drove into the night. Did I mention the noise? Nipple-hardening to say the least =P~
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Sombrero

Rosso Campari: An Intoxicating Cocktail

It’s blood red. It’s supercharged. It’s loud. And fast. What’s not to like? If you're one of those youngsters who's always wondered what a real pre-war sports car is like to drive, jump in alongside a well-known former F1 ace to find out.

Get ready for a dusty high speed ride through the lavender-scented landscape which inspired some of history's greatest artists – Vincent Van Gogh called it home – and which recalls the backdrop for this car's heyday 84 years ago, when another larger–than–life character worked his magic in that very same seat. His name? Giuseppe Campari.

http://www.kidston.com/view_movie.php?id=52

strad

You do find some off the wall stuff.
thanks
Sir Stirling Moss

CBeck113

I'll be at the Mille again this year, and I'm happier than a pig in --- about it. This time I'll be better prepared, which will hopefully mean that I will also get better pictures. Anything specific you're interested in, or are you more for the entire event?

J.A.W.

Back in `74, when the Targa Florio was still a goer..
.. amazingly enough, a Michelotti Design-styled Leyland Australia P-76 V8 rally car - was a winner there..
..& the "Targa Florio" legend - subsequently appeared as an identification feature on 'special' production units..

See below:

http://leylandp76turns40.blogspot.com.a ... lorio.html
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).