Let us not count out the two stroke.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
flynfrog

Let us not count out the two stroke.

WhiteBlue

Re: Let us not count out the two stroke.

Good read. I'm amazed what they can do with the direct injection technology. I wonder how the emissions look against a modern four stroke with catalytic converter. The power/weight point is well made.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

tok-tokkie

That was extremly interesting.

The technical regulations in most motorsport strangle technical innovation by being absolutely prescriptive about what is permitted.

Motorcycling banned 500cc 2-strokes some years ago & 250cc 2-strokes are to be replaced by kit 600cc engines next year. At last weeks MOtoGP race in Laguna Seca the 125cc & 250cc bikes were not included because they are 2-strokes which are illegal in California.

RH1300S

Love the bike! I want one...... :twisted: Ermm anyone reckon that fuel tank will take you further than the shops?

I have had many two-strokes and I just love them.........

Scotracer

Two strokes just have so much character. My KTM 125EXC and my Maico 250 are just so sweet 8)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

DaveKillens

Ahh, this brings back memories of my youth, when I used to go out and slay Harleys with my RD-350 (like shooting fish in a barrel). I'm definitley interested.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:Good read. I'm amazed what they can do with the direct injection technology. I wonder how the emissions look against a modern four stroke with catalytic converter. The power/weight point is well made.
The mercury marine optimax out board motor is cleaner than there 4 stroke counter parts. If you read in the article they are saying that the new air injected two strokes are cleaner than there 4 stroke counter parts as well.

But I think id miss the smell of two stroke in the morning

Carlos

Orbital and Synerjet have bothe been moving along with the developmentair-assisted direct injected 2 strokes.

"Direct Injection systems are used on two-stroke engines to dramatically reduce the level of unburned fuel escaping from the exhaust port during the exhaust scavenging cycle by injecting only when the exhaust port is closed and scavenging with charge air only. This allows two-stroke engines to be able to meet stringent emissions levels mandated for engines in such regions as Europe, North America, Taiwan and India. Further, Synerject’s air-assist system produces a stratified charge spray plume (see figure 1) directly inside the combustion chamber with high evaporation rates which limits fuel impingement on the cylinder walls and thereby reduces hydrocarbon emissions by at least 75% while operational fuel consumption benefits of 35-50% are achievable.
A simplified control system diagram is shown in figure 2, which is very similar to that used in a Port Injected engine and in fact, Synerject’s single-cylinder PI and DI systems use effectively the same Engine Control Unit (ECU). However, control strategies are very different between the two systems due to the intrinsically different combustion systems, homogeneous for PI and stratified for DI.
The electronically operated Air Injector (see Figure 3) is controlled by the ECU and allows the fuel metered by the Fuel Injector (see Figure 3) to be propelled directly into the combustion chamber by an air blast action. Compressed air is used to finely atomize and vaporize fuel and create a stable, easily ignited air/fuel spray.
Air-assist Direction Injection can also be used on traditional four-stroke non-automotive and automotive engines. Four-stoke air-assist direct injection benefits include meeting current and proposed emissions standards while obtaining a significant fuel consumption benefit (10 to 20%) over same engine with port injection. The system can use low risk, low cost, catalyst system options that can be staged in parallel with fuel quality improvements around the world to meet ultra stringent emissions regulations and additionally the fuel consumption benefit provides reductions in greenhouse emissions."
© 2009, Synerject LLC. All rights reserved

The illustrations are here:
http://www.synerject.com/di.html
Their product line of injectors and electronic modules are also interesting.

CMSMJ1

tok-tokkie wrote:
At last weeks MOtoGP race in Laguna Seca the 125cc & 250cc bikes were not included because they are 2-strokes which are illegal in California.
Not quite right - the AMA superbikes were at that round and there is not enough room in the paddock.

2T is a great technology and should be utilised
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

ISLAMATRON

actually yes, the 2 strokes were banned because of california emissions rules, at least thats what the announcers were saying all weekend

jddh1

ISLAMATRON wrote:actually yes, the 2 strokes were banned because of california emissions rules, at least thats what the announcers were saying all weekend
I'm not really sure about that. I mean, they do allow 2-strokes at X-games in LA. There's tons of 2 stroke Vespas, Honda's and other scooters in San Fran. Tons of off-road bikes in Cali run 2-strokes.

I think it has to do with the fact that the 125 and 250 did not meet the emissioon standards rather than 2-strokes being banned altogether in California.

Belatti

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

ISLAMATRON

jddh1 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:actually yes, the 2 strokes were banned because of california emissions rules, at least thats what the announcers were saying all weekend
I'm not really sure about that. I mean, they do allow 2-strokes at X-games in LA. There's tons of 2 stroke Vespas, Honda's and other scooters in San Fran. Tons of off-road bikes in Cali run 2-strokes.

I think it has to do with the fact that the 125 and 250 did not meet the emissioon standards rather than 2-strokes being banned altogether in California.
good clarification

Belatti

DKW Anyone? :)

Im thinking about an Audi A3 with a 2 strokes 1.0L 200HP engine for example... or a modern version of the DKW 1000S. After so many "retros" like the Mini, the FIAT 500 and the VW Beetle I would like to see that car again.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

gcdugas

Presently the most advanced PRODUCTION two-strokes ae the Evinrude E-Tec boat motors that need no maintenance for the first three years and meet stringent emission standards. See this article. It is fairly thorough and hits on all the major concerns. And we are talking reality not just theory.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1