ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
modbaraban

ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

This has to be another epic battle between Audi and Peugeot plus BMW vs Corvette vs Ferrari vs Porsche in GT2.

The reason for creating this topic right now is... wtf is with the schedule?
http://www.roadatlanta.com/ev_petit/200 ... hedule.pdf

Either I'm struggling with the time zones or something's changed. It used to a day-night race. And now it's ... ? Can a fellow forumer from the US be so kind to tell me the quali and race times in CET?

Thank you.

wesley123

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

You forgot the acura? If they dont enter this one you can call them pussies imo, they backing off instead of taking the challenge. If they beat the Audi and Peugeot it is great marketing, i think it is possible they will, the car is aimed for lots of downforce, same as the audi, wich seems to have some problems with the cars stability. I think the win goes to Audi, their car has more power then the acura, thus higher top speeds and add to that that the R15 might have more downforce.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall

modbaraban wrote:Either I'm struggling with the time zones or something's changed. It used to a day-night race. And now it's ... ? Can a fellow forumer from the US be so kind to tell me the quali and race times in CET?

Thank you.
Kiev is currently 7 hours ahead of the Eastern Time Zone in the U.S., where the race will be held. So for you, qualifying will start at 21:25 on Friday, Sep. 25, and the race will start at 18:15 on Saturday, Sep. 26.

It's a 1,000 mile or ten-hour race, whichever happens first. It starts during the day and runs into the night, but will not run throughout the night.

vyselegend

Yes it is strange. PLM usally ends by a few hours of night race, thought the night part just doesn't compare with the rest of the race (in duration). But the few hours before night are often interesting with twilight conditions turning to darkness.

I am confused too by the early start. A ten hour race starting at 11h15am at most ends at 9h15pm, and I doubt it's dark enough at 9pm to call that night... :?

Maybe Speed TV asked for a full daylight program...

By the way, is the race to be broadcasted live on Motors? [-o< If the coverage is the same as other ALMS rounds (two weeks delayed) I fear I will kill myself. :evil:

modbaraban

bhallg2k wrote:Kiev is currently 7 hours ahead of the Eastern Time Zone in the U.S., where the race will be held. So for you, qualifying will start at 21:25 on Friday, Sep. 25, and the race will start at 18:15 on Saturday, Sep. 26.

It's a 1,000 mile or ten-hour race, whichever happens first. It starts during the day and runs into the night, but will not run throughout the night.
Ah thanks. Everything is ok then. Just like last year. I'm so looking forward to it.

vyselegend

I'm reassured the race will be shown Live from Motors TV again, as with this year's broadcast nothing was really sure... Coverage begins Saturday at 17h (GMT+1).

Current entry list published on Planetlemans seems definitive, I don't think there will be some major changes now:

http://www.planetlemans.com/alms-2009-p ... ntry-list/

So it's very unlikely now that we see an Aston pop up on the list, only Lola coupe in P1 will be Drayson's. And Pescarolo has ruled out any possible entry.

From their respective press releases, Acura seems pretty confident that they'll be able to challenge the diesels, which is nice to read. Audi sounds quietly confident too, and Peugeot have already started to build their excuses, saying the Audi will be 10km/h quiker in some corners (like the turn 1 or the esses) due to its massive downforce levels. Oreca are already running some test since yesterday, hope they'll be serious enough to fight the Acuras at least...

Anyway, this could be THE highlight of 2009! I can't wait for that week to pass... =P~

modbaraban

vyselegend wrote:So it's very unlikely now that we see an Aston pop up on the list...
That's due to Gulf sponsorship that has no interest in the US. But I heard they're looking for alternative sponsorship to run in Laguna Seca.

roost89

Hoping to be able to catch this race this year. Missed it last year :(
I'm gunning for Drayon racing, Dyson racing and Rahal Letterman racing.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Professor

Braselton Georgia is in the Southern US and it gets dark there about 7:00 o'clock PM local time this time of year. New Orleans, where I live, is at roughly the same latitude.

So just about 10% of the race is in the dark.

Krispy

I should be there. Anyone else going to be able to make it?
"In order to finish first, you must first finish"-Stirling Moss

Ray

Krispy wrote:I should be there. Anyone else going to be able to make it?
I REALLY wish I could make it, but I can't. My new job doesn't allow vacation time for the first year of employment! :(

Scotracer

Ray wrote:
I REALLY wish I could make it, but I can't. My new job doesn't allow vacation time for the first year of employment! :(
WTF is that ---?! :x
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Ray

Scotracer wrote:
Ray wrote:
WTF is that ---?! :x
If I told you all the stupid bullshit I have to put up with it would make your head explode. Just a tidbit, in addition to not getting vacation for the first 12 months of employment, after working there since February I've accrued a whopping 17 hours of sick time. 7 months and I can take a whopping two days of sick time coming up to flu season, any other time off for being sick/anything else is considered without pay. Don't know about you guys, but losing even one day a week with no pay is very hard to swallow.

But I really really wish I could see this race. The only other time I've been to Road Atlanta I was maybe 10 and I heard the most glorious sound ever in my life. Some V12 prototype Ferrari came down the esses and towards the far end of the track and I just stood there with my mouth agape at the sound of that car. I wish I could see the Corvettes this year, I fear the stupid rules next year are going to kill their sound.

modbaraban

Fresh spotter guide [high res alert]

wesley123

wow, no GT1 in the race.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender