Top Fuel Pics

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
flynfrog

Top Fuel Pics

Took these a few weeks ago tried to get some close ups of the equipment for FT1
no grid girl so you will have to settle for semi attractive photographer

747heavy

Re: Top Fuel Pics

Thanks Flynfrog - much appriciated
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Wow,

See that Rubber contorting under all those ponies, wonder what tyre wall strength is required for these beasties.
More could have been done.
David Purley

flynfrog

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Wow,

See that Rubber contorting under all those ponies, wonder what tyre wall strength is required for these beasties.
they are made to wrinkle like that to increase contact patch for launch then grow to increase gear ratio

Shrek

i have some pictures from the Matco Tools dragster 1 1/2 years back (can't download them from my phone because it says i need a memory chip) and the rearend pumpkin was square. do you know why it was like that instead of a regular pumpkin?
Anyway thanks flyin for the pics
Spencer

flynfrog

Shrek wrote:i have some pictures from the Matco Tools dragster 1 1/2 years back (can't download them from my phone because it says i need a memory chip) and the rearend pumpkin was square. do you know why it was like that instead of a regular pumpkin?
Anyway thanks flyin for the pics
what dragster the top fuel car? Some of the lower powered cars used a welded titanium case that is angular but not square you can see a top fuel pumpkin above its machined TI but no square

Giblet

OK just when I thought I knew just about every automotive and racing term someone goes ahead and says the car has a pumpkin :)

What is a pumpkin?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

flynfrog

Giblet wrote:OK just when I thought I knew just about every automotive and racing term someone goes ahead and says the car has a pumpkin :)

What is a pumpkin?
the rear end

It kinda looks like a pumpkin

Giblet

K thanks nice pics btw. Excellent shutter speed choice to get the tire doing what it does.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Shrek

flynfrog wrote:what dragster the top fuel car? Some of the lower powered cars used a welded titanium case that is angular but not square you can see a top fuel pumpkin above its machined TI but no square
if by top fuel you mean open wheeled ones then yes (i think Antwon the driver back then, don't know the last name)
Spencer

flynfrog

Giblet wrote:K thanks nice pics btw. Excellent shutter speed choice to get the tire doing what it does.
I was hoping it would get a little darker before they were done running to get the exhaust flame pics better but thanks for the compliment

Jersey Tom

Amazed you could capture the tire wrap-up in a still photo. Cool shots.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

GTO

Great pics flyn! Where were they taken? I ask because of the one pic of tent & trailer with Yas Marina Circuit advert on them. #-o

FW17

How do they pump more than 100 liters of nitro-methane into the engine in less than 5 seconds?

raceman

WOW! nice pics man, gr8 work! thnx for sharing.

=D>