Aerodynamics for formula sae

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Tonn
Tonn

Aerodynamics for formula sae

I am a new member in a Formula student team and my aim is do give wings to our car.

I have read that the benefit of a well-developed aerodynamic package is evident; depending on how fast the course is, the slowest aero-package cars sometimes run several seconds per lap faster than any of the non-aero cars.

So have somebody in here been involved in developing a aero kit for a fsae car.

Because I don't have no idea what would be a reasonable amount of downforse to add.
Right now I am aming for at least 50kg of downforse at speed 30m/s.
Is that enough to make any difference how the car behaves?

Hoping to post my first wings soon;)

ubrben
ubrben

Re: Aerodynamics for formula sae

As a former FSAE competitor and sometime judge I want to comment on the overall concept of the competition rather than wings per say.

I've not run the numbers so I'm not in a position to tell you if your numbers are correct, but even if I could that wouldn't be enough. You need to justify to the judges whether the wing is effective using engineering explanations.

For me the simplest way of doing this would be to set up a laptime simulation and use a representative course map for the comp you intend to focus on. You could use the average speed recommendations in the rules - but the comps seem to ignore this - so finding some legacy data would be sensible.

You then need to estimate the mass and CG implications of your wing package. It will increase mass and it will increase CG.

Run the lap sim, and increase the downforce level until that downforce improves lap time enough to compensate for the extra mass and load transfer. That will be your minimum downforce target.

Ben

flynfrog

its not how much DF to add its how much drag can you tolerate

Tonn
Tonn

ubrben wrote: For me the simplest way of doing this would be to set up a laptime simulation
That idea sound nice because my first plan was to test wings in the CFD program and on the track.

I realy don't know anything about lap time simulations.
Is there any free programs?
In the first sight I diden't find any free programs.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

You can write your own rudimentary sim in matlab
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tonn
Tonn

Hmm I found that BOSCH offers a free lap time sim.
Has someone used it?

Tim.Wright

Tonn wrote:Hmm I found that BOSCH offers a free lap time sim.
Has someone used it?
Use the tyre data (if your team has it) to get a rough idea on the extra latral force your tyres will give from the extra normal load. This is approximately equal to the increase in lateral acceleration you will get.

Very rough, but literally a 5 min job if you have the tyre curves

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

flynfrog wrote:its not how much DF to add its how much drag can you tolerate
Precisely, you need to know if you are power or traction limited. If you were at the the world championships in silverstone, you might have noticed the Monash University FSAE car, one with wings had the fastest times in skid pad.

Yes, they are beneficial, but you also need to look at drag and airflow to your cooling systems.

Tonn
Tonn

Some pictures how things are going:

Special thanks to all the people who are working hard on the car!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Have you modelled it yet with the roll hoop and other stuff in front of the rear wing. Be interesting to see how well it works then...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mach11
mach11

Tonn wrote:I am a new member in a Formula student team and my aim is do give wings to our car.

I have read that the benefit of a well-developed aerodynamic package is evident; depending on how fast the course is, the slowest aero-package cars sometimes run several seconds per lap faster than any of the non-aero cars.

Because I don't have no idea what would be a reasonable amount of downforse to add.

I really appreciate the work that you are doing on the car and the progress you have made, but keep in mind a few things that i feel is really important

1. Highlight your target performance parameters - events

2. If aero is going to add to these parameters then work towards ensuring that it adds to the performance of your car.

3. Marketing the product also matters. Thus, aero package will add to cost (depending upon your funds and sponsorship)

4. Keep it simple and proper if you are a first year team. I can see lots more work to be done on the car before you can actually run AERO simulations etc.

All the best to your team and you.
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

big david
big david

Tonn wrote:I am a new member in a Formula student team and my aim is do give wings to our car.

I want to find some good solutions to deal with the problem of the connection of the front wing and the riser .I am be here for your sincere answer,thanks.