Honda into LMP1

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Honda into LMP1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88911

This makes me wonder if Honda will return to F1 in 2013 with Virgin F1. But makes for a really intresting LMP1 concept as well, i can see Toyota in LMP1 in 2012 as well.

PNSD
PNSD

Re: Honda into LMP1

So was it easier to take the ARX-01 and turn into LMP1 rather than the ARX-02 and make that legal to 2011 regulations? Or does it just show that the ARX-02 really wasnt that a great car?

Great news anyway! Will this race in 2011 then I guess?

marcush.
marcush.

02 was specifically designed for high downforce..not LeMans...

But in the light of the statement it looks like they will adopt the big front tyres to the 01 ..and with Audi now also using the rear on front concept ..Michelin will come up with a true front tyre with rear tyre size.

wesley123
wesley123

They have to come with a really good chasis and mechanics do they want to defeat the Peugeots and Audi's on track, at Sebring the ARX-02 was way behind both
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pandamasque

marcush. wrote:02 was specifically designed for high downforce..not LeMans...
Also the 2011 P1 regs = 2010 P2 regs with minor changes (KERS, FINS etc). HPD could actually add a fin and enter ARX-01c as a P1 car this year, but decided to keep the open-top car for P2 and swap the 3.4L V8 with a new 2.8L V6 TwinTurbo. I think this is the car in question in the hands of RML. Doesn't seem to have the latest aero yet.

creedbratton
creedbratton

Any idea on which teams are running which classes? Would love to see Brabham going for the overall again.

creedbratton
creedbratton

Mulsannes Corner has an interview with Nick Wirth, thought I'd post the link here: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjan11.html

Pandamasque

So they are actually competeing in P1 too. I didn't know that.
Nick Wirth wrote:The second car is a LMP1 car based upon the LMP2 chassis. "It's designation is the HPD ARX-01e. It has a lot of revisions from the existing LMP2 car, including a new gearbox case, new suspension, as well as a very heavily revised bodywork kit and it looks quite different from the current cars." This car will race a variant of the Honda 3.4 liter V8.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Well ACO is committed to be able to adjust the balance as they see fit this year, so it might not be that bad.....2011 Sportscar season, aside from the TV situation(in US) and big arse fine that ruins the look, actually looks pretty rosy with the number of potential factory cars in the field...