Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

Re: Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Jerez test tomorrow. Only us, Hansen GP and Lamborghini I think will be there from Formula Sketch. Results will be posted on twitter, and later on here.

astracrazy

what is formula sketch? looked on the website and didn't really understand what it is

jordangp

Basically F1, but online. Design a car, get drivers, sponsors etc. then races get simmed

astracrazy

pm me how it all works, might look into doing it. Can i join? I'm guessing next year now coz need to make a car?

jordangp

Testing Results are in! Robert Kubica and test driver Sebastien Loeb were out today, finishing 2nd and 4th, respectively. Jean-Eric Vergne topped the time sheets in the 2011 Martini Racing car.

http://goo.gl/T4aQ8

Himlar

astracrazy wrote:pm me how it all works, might look into doing it. Can i join? I'm guessing next year now coz need to make a car?
Not necessarily next year, but if you're going to start now it will be really helpful if you're familiar with CAD/3D. I'm fairly experienced but it takes Time ... I have a huge amount of respect for these guys who are doing it in Sketchup, adding a lot of work in my opinion.

Jordangp: I'm wondering about the front wing, are you trying to use the venturi effect (a diffuser) with the nose up-angle in the front? Interesting concept in that case ...

jordangp

Himlar wrote:
astracrazy wrote:pm me how it all works, might look into doing it. Can i join? I'm guessing next year now coz need to make a car?
Not necessarily next year, but if you're going to start now it will be really helpful if you're familiar with CAD/3D. I'm fairly experienced but it takes Time ... I have a huge amount of respect for these guys who are doing it in Sketchup, adding a lot of work in my opinion.

Jordangp: I'm wondering about the front wing, are you trying to use the venturi effect (a diffuser) with the nose up-angle in the front? Interesting concept in that case ...
Someone has finally worked it out :) That is the exact concept I am going for. Using the venturi effect to turn the front wing to a front diffuser, while still conditioning the flow, and creating strong vortexes.

Himlar

jordangp wrote:
Himlar wrote:...
Someone has finally worked it out :) That is the exact concept I am going for. Using the venturi effect to turn the front wing to a front diffuser, while still conditioning the flow, and creating strong vortexes.
Great idea! I was just reading about these yesterday trying to design a diffuser for our Formula Student car, so I'm seeing that shape everywhere now :) But; how will the flow act when it's not closed at both sides, and therefore not being able to approximate as a 2D flow?

MIKEY_!

You can seal the front wing I believe. Take a look at my diagram from the 29th: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11604 The double footplate.

jordangp

It's probably worth mentioning that Tom (Tozza Mazza) has now left the team, and has moved on to work with Hansen GP as well as other projects.

jordangp

Don't worry! We're not dead! We just had a lot of work...

And now it's payed off. Our twitter followers knew this major upgrade was coming, and here is an update of what to expect.

Why the graphics?
They are similar graphics to the teams livery + I finished a little ahead of schedule + it's better than sticking your name across the car if you want to keep copyright :wink:

New Parts:
New Front wing (Tweaks, and added turning vane)
New Cockpit, to fit better with new bodywork
New Bodywork (New engine cover, sidepods, and the transition.
New Floor (Including splitter)
New Bargeboards
New Sidepod turning vanes
New Exhausts
New Rear suspension + layout
New Cooling arrangement + Radiators
New blade structure

There's probably more :lol:

To think it's not even the first race yet... it's gonna be a competitive season :)

Holm86

is that cut-out in the floor legal?

jordangp

Holm86 wrote:is that cut-out in the floor legal?
Yeah, you can't see any bodywork through it from beneath, it's not a hole, and to further prove its legality, McLaren used it in 2009. This has been discussed previously in the thread.

N12ck

Ahh, similar exhaust concept to me :D
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

Adelaide tomorrow guys! Really looking forward to it! Melbourne's just over a week away!

Here's a look at the car we're taking.

New front wing updates, updated endplate, 2nd flap and upper cascades.

Modified cockpit, new floor, sidepods, bargeboards, turning vanes.

Another look at the new bodywork. Really shows how low the airbox is!

A nice view of the tightness of the new rear end, cutouts, and a large feeder hole to the double diffuser.

A different angle of the rear showing revised suspension and exhaust layout.

A look at a few rear wing tweaks, including multi element in the very outsides of the wing.

A good look at the rear view of the car.

And here's an image of the double diffuser. You get an in depth look at how it is fed by both the top of the floor, and the starter hole. I heard Mercedes have a similar solution, so if someone thinks it's relevant to the W03 thread, then feel free to post it.

Hoping for good results this weekend, ready for the first race of the season.

Cheers guys! :)