A computer-mouse like ground speed sensor?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
g-force_addict
g-force_addict

A computer-mouse like ground speed sensor?

How about a mouse like sensor than measures ground speed?
For the traction control/ABS.

It is perfectly possible for all 4 wheels to be sliding at the same speed while braking thus temporarily fooling the ABS.

This sensors could also detect lateral sliding.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: A computer-mouse like ground speed sensor?

It's a good idea, but somebody though of it a long time ago.

They are in use by such devices as this..

to what you propose http://www.datrontechnology.co.uk/produ ... BlogID=175
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Get your checkbook ready :)

For real legit vehicle dynamics work, model correlation, etc... I think you really need to have at least one of 'em. Just damn expensive.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

speedsense
speedsense

g-force_addict wrote:How about a mouse like sensor than measures ground speed?
For the traction control/ABS.

It is perfectly possible for all 4 wheels to be sliding at the same speed while braking thus temporarily fooling the ABS.

This sensors could also detect lateral sliding.

Not all ABS systems are alike. Some are "cheap" replications of ABS and sample at slow rates and the sensors have low resolution. Hence the "chances" of four wheels sliding and fooling the system.
More expensive systems (ALA Mercedes,BMW, Porsche) sample at much higher rates and the sensors are approaching racing quality (Porsche uses the same sensors on their GT3 cars as they do on the street.)
The biggest developments, for racing are rewritten software codes that enhance street systems and can make the ABS system work on solid ice.

Current technology for lateral sliding (in racing) of the tire is an optical sensor which measure the lateral ground movement at the tire contact patch, one per wheel. Used with the other sensors on the car -Lateral G sensor, one front one rear on the lateral axle lines, GPS heading/speed/racing line again one antenna front, one rear., steering input , ride height (laser) and four wheel (hall effect) speeds, internal tire pressure/temp sensors.
They use them in combination for analysis of the slip angle. There isn't really one simple solution for live measurement, IMHO...
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

Ciro Pabón

It's not such a good idea. DaveW is plain wrong. In farm equipment they were more or less tolerable, but in racing! Not good.

They (mouse as sensors) became obsolete when many racing incidents were caused by them. It was very frequent for drivers, when overtaking another car, to get their mouse cords entangled with the ones of their opponent. Remember Jerez 97? Sure, it was mouse cord entanglement. Schumacher gave an excuse, of course, instead of saying the truth but insiders know what really happened...

So, perhaps a more radical thinking is what is needed.

What about the touchscreen steering wheel and the keyboard driven gear shift?

Of course, instead of windshield, you should use a 42 inches screen and a camera, to see the road.

The perfect complement for all this is an UPS in case you run out of gas.

Trucks could use an USB connection to hook up the trailer.

Just joking, of course.

Brembo has a system that starts at around 500 dollars. I'm too tired right now to elevate it from google search to post, perhaps after some sleep this afternoon I'll check it for you to watch it. The last inception I saw had laser sensors for speed and ride height.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 18 May 2011, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

Caito
Caito

Lasers can get dirty! If there's dust and wind, you're not reading TVS(true vehicle speed).

To check lots of things that can be done with lasers check the following:

http://www.corrsys-datron.com/optical_sensors.htm
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Ciro
=D> :mrgreen:
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

DaveW
DaveW

Ciro Pabón wrote:DaveW is plain wrong.
I'm often plain wrong, Ciro, but in this case I kept my thoughts to myself...... Apologies.

Ciro Pabón

Caito wrote:Lasers can get dirty! If there's dust and wind, you're not reading TVS(true vehicle speed)...
And wind?
Ciro

Caito
Caito

Ciro Pabón wrote:
Caito wrote:Lasers can get dirty! If there's dust and wind, you're not reading TVS(true vehicle speed)...
And wind?
I don't understand your remark, Ciro.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

"It is perfectly possible for all 4 wheels to be sliding at the same speed while braking thus temporarily fooling the ABS."

You need a better understanding of ABS. Generally the systems are more concerned with the rates of changes not the actual speed. They use very complete algorithms.

Your stated concern could also be recognized with accelerometer data.

Brian