Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
N12ck

Re: Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza

you know all the hints you gave? can you explain what the hints related to? some of them I haven't clicked on to, cheers :)
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123
wesley123

Oh damn you stealing my airbox idea! :lol:

No b ut seriously, incredible looking car. How'd you ever managed to fit radiators in there?

And as for the rear wing, I know about the loophole BAR used in '04, but is this still legal under current rules?

Overall amazing job and can't wait to see more technical pictures.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:Oh damn you stealing my airbox idea! :lol:

No b ut seriously, incredible looking car. How'd you ever managed to fit radiators in there?

And as for the rear wing, I know about the loophole BAR used in '04, but is this still legal under current rules?

Overall amazing job and can't wait to see more technical pictures.
Ive gotta be honest, the airbox idea, I came up with a similar concept, slightly different, but similar :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

Ok a collection of closer pics now of the car, so you can see it for real.

Here's a gd look at the side, you can see the double intake sidepods more clearly here, as well as how narrow the sidepods are. The airbox is very very low, to reduce drag. There's also a good look at the external Side Impact structures, something that after we had starting designing, the Ferrari rumours came up, and we were quite surprised. The nose V also looks quite deep from this angle.

This image is very clear of our innovations. This is the best view there is of the front of the sidepods, which flows well from the splitter. From here it can be seen that the air intake is split, the larger of course for the engine, and smaller intake for KERS cooling. Pull rod suspension is visible at the rear, as well as our triple element wing design, in which the main plane, and 3rd plane are connected via strakes. This will be useful on higher downforce tracks, but affects DRS. It most races we will have a conventional rear wing.

A simple front view, showing a quite basic endplateless front wing, good view of under the nose and the splitter, aswell as the rest of the bodywork. Brake ducts are relatively simple, with a couple of winglets, but we have plans to upgrade these shortly. Suspension layout is very similar to my car last season.

A good look at the airbox, and rear wing. the rear suspension layout is seen clearly here also. Driveshaft is highlighted in orange, so you can understand the layout easier.

Here you can see our floor cutouts, and suspension layout. The exhaust is visable in the sidepods (which was very difficult to package in the tight sidepods!) We are yet to develop our beam wing either, with the double element in the central 15cm. No cutouts in the rear wing endplate at the moment, but there will be for our conventional wing package. Hole in the floor can just be made out, just to the side of the gearbox, this whole helps to feed the second deck of our diffuser.

Not a great image of the diffuser, but you can see the strakes, and just about make out the second deck in the centre on the diffuser. There is a large cooling outtake at the rear of the engine cover, and you can see the exhausts clearer here, pointing towards the underside of the rear wing.

Another look at the rearm where our central diffuser valley for the second deck is more clear. Exhausts are very visible, as are the brake duct winglets.

A view of the underside, in which you can tell we have a very wide splitter, we may narrow this with a floor update at some point soon. Ignore the big white section on the underbody, that's where it's been rendered, and the fueltank is at the same level as the floor. No strakes on the front wing as of yet, but everything will soo ne updated. This view allows for you to see the floor cutouts very easily.

A great top down view of the car now, where you can see how smooth the bodywork flows. It really shows off how narrow and tight the sidepods are. Fortunately we could fit radiators in, contrary to what many have thought about narrow sidepod design. Our is very extreme in comparison to the Ferrari rumours.

Ok final image, and you can see the engine starter hole, which has been changed to form an intake. Air is taken into the engine starter hole, and is diffused across the top diffuser section. Making a double deck diffuser, although not as effective as ones from previous years. It is also fed partly by the hole in the top of the floor, down into the diffuser, as shown on Image 5.

That's a lot of images an explanation, and I doubt most of you will read it :lol: but please comment, and if you have any questions, please ask!

jordangp

The BAR loophole is still in place, no rule was ever written into the rulebook, but is regarded by the teams. So technically it is within regulation, as Formula Sketch only follow the rulebook and not word of the FIA

N12ck

I think (I may be wrong) but the front hole in the floor, by the front of the sidepods like the long thin bit may be illegal, due to the fact you can see bodywork,

I might be wrong, but that's what I thought the rule was :)

Fantastic work guys though!
Budding F1 Engineer

RichardF1

Fantastic looking car guys! =D> Looks like you have put some major hours into this :) Good to see the floor cut outs coming back. The sidepods are taken to the extreme too, hope it runs good for you this year :)
WWKD- What would Kimi do?

ringo

Nice attention to detail. :P
One question though, why have 2 side pod intakes?

There are a few things that may raise flags with the regs, but for now might as well feast my eyes on the car.
For Sure!!

jordangp

Our argument is that the mid winglets are for safety reasons only, they are mandatory, but not technically bodywork.

The 2 sidepod intakes, is just to get it so the radiators would fit really

Tozza Mazza

ringo wrote:Nice attention to detail. :P
One question though, why have 2 side pod intakes?

There are a few things that may raise flags with the regs, but for now might as well feast my eyes on the car.
I think the DDD is illegal, and the rear wing is a tad iffy.

Although the sidepods are not my idea (only the rear wing was really), I'd argue that they have the same intake area, for less frontal area, so reduce drag, by having the central intake angled.

jordangp

Well Tom, as I read about the BAR incident, the rule is the same as it wsa then in the regulations when BAR did it. They didn't change the rules, they just said to the teams you're not allowed to. FSketch follows the rulebook only.

The DDD? I don't see an issue myself, other than maybe there not being benefits? I don't see an issue with legality.

And yep, as you say that's the reason for the sidepod shape and intakes

N12ck

I think the floor is illegal, after checking the rules, the cutout at the front is a bit iffy, due to being able to see bodywork through it, and I cant believe someone would steal this car and claim its the MP4-27, how pathetic,

as I have said great work and the car lives up to its name :D
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

N12ck wrote:I think the floor is illegal, after checking the rules, the cutout at the front is a bit iffy, due to being able to see bodywork through it, and I cant believe someone would steal this car and claim its the MP4-27, how pathetic,

as I have said great work and the car lives up to its name :D
Thanks N12ck, I have PM'ed them and reported the comment for misuse of content.We will look over the rules, and we will see whether the championship scrutineers class the floor as legal or not.

wesley123
wesley123

I would definitely declare the floor illegal.

Rules state that bodywork that is viewable from beneath the car lays on the reference or step plane, the lower crash structure however lies above both of these points, hence I would declare it illegal.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

jordangp

How will Ferrari get away with it, if the rumours come to fruition?