What causes torsion on a car chassis?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
keepreal1315
keepreal1315

What causes torsion on a car chassis?

Just a quick question that hopefully someone here can help me with...

I am working on a project that is developing a method for determining the torsional stiffness of a carbon-fiber monocoque about the x-axis of the automobile. Despite all of the research I have conducted for this 6 week project, I still cannot seem to answer what causes this torsional force. I understand that having a high torsional rigidity is important for accurate handling. I also understand that when undergoing a turn, the chassis is torqued along the y-axis... but does this turning also result in a torque in the x-axis? Also, does the drive shaft and differential generate any noteworthy torques?

I guess what my question comes down to is: What causes torsion along the x-axis of a car chassis?

Thanks in advance,
Matt K

EDIT: I defined the x-axis a the longitudinal direction of the auto
Last edited by keepreal1315 on 24 Jun 2011, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: What causes torsion on a car chassis?

First, you should declare what you are calling the x-axis. I am assuming you are referring to the standard SAE definition of x being longitudinal.

Inertial forces give rise to twist in the same way they give rise to lateral load transfer. Imagine a stick figure car, with a point mass at the CG and restrained at the front and rear axles.

Lateral acceleration acting on that CG point puts a torque on the whole system which is restrained at ground. Whole idea is to have everything rigid, or significantly more rigid than the "compliance" you are intentionally building into the system - the springs, bars, etc.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

keepreal1315
keepreal1315

Yea i was referring to the x-axis as the longitudinal direction.

Thanks for the quick response and great explanation. This clarifies a lot for me.

strad

sticky tires and a driver trying to wring it's neck. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

riff_raff
riff_raff

keepreal1315,

The primary cause of longitudinal torsional strain in a chassis structure is a relative difference in the forces reacted at the F/R tire contacts on a given side. The forces reacted by tire contacts are due to inertias, aerodynamic forces, and drivetrain torques.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

strad

that's what I said
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss