Blown Beam wing?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
SiLo

Blown Beam wing?

With further bans on blowing the diffuser possibly coming in the future, could teams blow the beam wing? Would this aid downforce generation or is it too crude to really get it to work properly?
Felipe Baby!

myurr
myurr

Re: Blown Beam wing?

SiLo wrote:With further bans on blowing the diffuser possibly coming in the future, could teams blow the beam wing? Would this aid downforce generation or is it too crude to really get it to work properly?
For next year outlawing this was why the FIA originally wanted the exhausts to exit in a very specific location 30 cm behind the rear axel.

Instead it was agreed to place the exhausts further forward where their interaction with the beam wing and / or diffuser would still be limited but the teams and engine manufacturers wouldn't need to come up with a long exhaust pipe solution right next to the gear box.

So there may be some clever interpretations which allow it, but the intention is for the exhausts to be unable to directly blow any aero devices.

horse

I'm not sure that exhaust gas, by itself, is that good for generating lift. This is speculation, but I imaging that it's very turbulent which could inhibit setting up good circulation about a short chord aerofoil. Blowing the floor is a bit different as you're only modifying a small (ish) region of a larger aerodynamic device. I don't know, perhaps others can correct me here?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

wesley123
wesley123

they wont do anything different then before the EBD's
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MIKEY_!

Can a laminar flow be introduced to the exhaust flow? I think this is done in fire hoses, slightly different concept here. Also are aero devices allowed inside the pipes?