Pirelli's 2012 PZero tyres

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

Pirelli's 2012 PZero tyres

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93190
Pirelli says the construction of the shoulder will change next year. There should be a thread about this at some point, so I figured I'd start it, if anyone wants to discuss :)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jersey Tom

Re: Pirelli's 2012 PZero tyres

Although Pirelli has received positive feedback about how its tyres have performed in its return season...
:roll:

In any event, if they're making a mold shape change.. more power to them. I'm sure the more they learn this season they'll have noticeably better products in 2012.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

raymondu999

I hope they stay true to their strategy of marginal tires though. I think 3 stop is good; I'm not keen on the return of bridgestone like tires that allow a "one-lap-left" pitstop strategy.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Robert.Gardner

I'd like F1 to use a larger rim size, possibly 17" instead of the current 13" rim.

It would still allow about 3" tall lettering for Pirelli's name on the sidewall, and cause the suspensions to be made to handle bumps a little more like a road going supercar.

And narrower would be good too!

Pierce89

Jersey Tom wrote:
Although Pirelli has received positive feedback about how its tyres have performed in its return season...
:roll:

In any event, if they're making a mold shape change.. more power to them. I'm sure the more they learn this season they'll have noticeably better products in 2012.
I don't really want noticeably better products. I like a 3 stopper as the optimum strategy.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

MIKEY_!

Yes I agree 100%!!! The bridgestones were boring!!! I like the "hitting the wall" thing thats been talked about by the teams, puts more pressure on them and we get to see who cracks under that pressure and which teams can make the best call on strategy.

Javert

Good news

The super-soft thing is ridicolous, you aren't sure it last 1 good lap.

The medium is a nightmare: 1 second slower than the soft with no more life than the softs.

The soft and the ultra-hard ones are decent tyres (don't forget the ridicolous hard tyre of the start of the season, that was comical !!).

Thanks to Pirelli we have seen some interesting races this year,
but I don't like much the "run like a tiger in qualifying, run like a turtle in race" thing which is seen this year.

piast9

At formula1.com they wrote that Pirelli improved the soft tyre to wear more evenly and generally last longer.

In my opinion that tyre was the last of the Pirelli's range to be improved. In 2011 the harder compounds were used only in cases where it the teams would like to keep unused softs or when it was enforced by rules. Harder compounds are not an alternative to the race strategy but the necessary evil. Making softer tyre better would make things even worse.

In my opinion, the harder tyre should give less time difference and last much longer than soft one. Then some teams or some drivers would treat it as a real choice to improve their race strategy.

italian

I agree with you but I think that nothing will change in next year, there are only some little differences on the tyres. :cry:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

MIKEY_!

I'd like to see a tire range that doesn't wear and create marbles but degrades and chemically changes so it looses grip like normal. That way there is more freedom to go off the racing line to overtake. Possibly also being more flat spot resistant so the driver's don't have to tiptoe around the track as much.

Hope Pirelli take the hint :mrgreen:

raymondu999

MIKEY_! wrote:I'd like to see a tire range that doesn't wear and create marbles but degrades and chemically changes so it looses grip like normal.
Sorry what exactly are you taking as a "normal" baseline? I agree that less marbles that funnel you into a single race line is good, but I'm curious as to why you think degradation is more "normal" than wear.
MIKEY_! wrote:Possibly also being more flat spot resistant so the driver's don't have to tiptoe around the track as much
Surely "don't lock up your brakes" should be part of a driver's skill set should it not? Or are you calling rather for tyres that can lock but that doesn't flatspot? Is that even possible?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Sorry didn't explain myself well there.
Saying normal as in these proposed tires of mine run out of grip at about the same rate as those in use now.
Yes don't lock up is part of the required skill set. I just think the current tires are too easy to flat spot. A more resistant tire should be able to lock a bit more without flat spotting or at least without flat spotting quite as badly. This might allow the drivers to be a little more aggressive and create some more passing opportunities.

raymondu999

Aha. I get it. So you mean it loses grip at the same rate that is normal in 2011
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Yes. that's the idea. I think it's possible.

she_spools_180

MIKEY_! wrote:Sorry didn't explain myself well there.
Saying normal as in these proposed tires of mine run out of grip at about the same rate as those in use now.
Yes don't lock up is part of the required skill set. I just think the current tires are too easy to flat spot. A more resistant tire should be able to lock a bit more without flat spotting or at least without flat spotting quite as badly. This might allow the drivers to be a little more aggressive and create some more passing opportunities.
From my understanding flatspotting, or rather susceptibility to flatspotting is directly proportional to tyre compound. So the softer the tyre, the more easily it will flatspot when locked. So as far as I know, you can't really engineer in a 'flatspot resistance' without making the tyre compound harder...

thoughts?

Besides, it seems they have "fixed" the tyres, and there does not seem to be as much of a 'cliff' anymore... which is a bit of a disappointment.. they seemed to get closer and closer to the Bridgestones in terms of durability and wear/degredation, as the season has progressed.