Front Wing Design Possiblities

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
MIKEY_!

Front Wing Design Possiblities

I was thinking about how to gain more DF on the FW and came up with the idea of enlarging the cascade (think thats what its called) to become a full size wing. Heres a simple cross-section of what I mean:
The left wing is what we usually see. The right side one is my idea. Is this legal and what aerodynamic disadvantages are there to this system. I am basing it partly on having extra leverage by having the aerofoil a bit further forward as well as having an extra wing. Opinions please.

wesley123

Re: Front Wing Design Possiblities

in what way would that even work?

You now just have an wing with an airbrake behind it, great for drag and doesnt even add downforce, if you want less downforce with more drag that is the way to go
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

shelly

MIKEY proposal is not as bad as you think wesley.

But two such placed aifoils will for sure interfere with each other and not be as efficient as a more conventional arrangement
twitter: @armchair_aero

MIKEY_!

Not sure about the whole airbrake thing wesley, sounds a little OTT. Look at it another way: It certainly won't create less DF cause the main plane has essentially been moved forward with increased AoA and a sort of fairing has been added to maintain the seal in front of the wheels. Since the second (rearmost) element can be designed with drag reduction in mind (rather than DF) and the front element should generate more DF (leverage and increased AoA).

matt21

What comes to my mind is, if it is even usefull to look for more front downforce.
With the restricted RW and diffusor I´m not sure, if it is possible to get balance into the car.

But how should air reach the backward element? It looks like the forward one is blocking the flow.

MIKEY_!

Air will still reach the rear element but not as well as before. This could be dealt with by raising the front edge of the forward element slightly, just a matter of finding the sweet spot otherwise you end up with the classic arrangement.

Another method could be to use the rear element only to seal the front wheel, not primarily for DF. Balance could be achieved by having very little wing inboard of the wheel, thus allowing more air to the rear of the car to generate DF there.

wesley123

I think there might be a slight possibility that it works when raising the front flaps. Though the whole wing will become much more sensitive. To create higher front df you can better just put on a bigger cascade
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Would this even be legal though? If it was legal and provided a performance edge I don't believe teams would've just not tested it and/or raced it. Or maybe it does do both things, but there isn't enough rear downforce to actually balance the extra front downforce?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

That should have part of the original question and yet to be answered raymond, thanks. Wesley, thats kind of the concept i'm going for, but in extreme.

Lycoming

im just curious.. do any of you guys have any real knowledge of fluid dynamics?

ajdavison2

Lycoming wrote:im just curious.. do any of you guys have any real knowledge of fluid dynamics?
Wouldn't aerodynamics have a bigger significance? :wink:

raymondu999

Aerodynamics is a subset of fluid dynamics :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ajdavison2

I know.. just a little joke haha :P

flynfrog

Lycoming wrote:im just curious.. do any of you guys have any real knowledge of fluid dynamics?
I'm not all sure who does in this thread but ite pretty obvious who doesn't.

MIKEY_!

Can someone actually discuss the question/proposal instead of throwing around vague and pointless derogatory comments.