Helmet position in corners

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hollus

Helmet position in corners

I'll resuscitate an old subject, briefly discussed back in may. What got me looking at it was this post from Formula None:
Formula None wrote: Interesting how Vettel lets the headrest carry the weight of his head through the corners rather than leaning in. Is that normal? Who else drives like that?
I've now been checking a lot of videos and indeed it looks like Vettel is doing something unusual with his head position.
I won't post the videos here, as the best quality ones are in the formula one site. But go there and check those on boards from qualifying for yourselves. The Red Bulls are particularly easy to follow, as the helmets have 3 bulges at the top: a larger one in the center and two smaller ones about half helmet width out to either side.

Start those videos of Vettel, and use the first long straight to record the central position of the helmet: put your finger in the lower edge of the video screen lined with that larger bulge in the helmet, and leave your finger there as a reference. Now look in the corners, how far he leans his head. The smaller bulges are a good reference for that, and most often they will not go as far as where your finger is. The helmets shake wildly when they ride kerbs, so try to ignore those parts.
Now do the same for Webber (only 1 lap in formuna1.com, but more in google). When he leans in the corner, more often than not the smaller bulges in his helmet will cross the position of your finger.
Do the same for Alonso and Massa (different helmet), and both seem to throw their heads around as much as they can, Webber like or even more.
Do the same for the Hamilton and Button (again 3 bulges in the helmet), and both are more composed, moving less, like Vettel does.

But then Vettel indeed does something unique. If you are not still bored out of your mind, look as his videos again after checking everyone elses'. He leans his head at the beginning of the corner, but then halfway through it, he often collects his head back to a more central position, sometimes in a chicane even looking the other way already in the first corner, with the result that in average, his head spends more time in a more central position than anybody else's.

Back then the impression of many was that the aerodynamic influence of the helmet must be rather small. Probably it is. There are two channels, one each side, for air to pass by between the helmet and the side head protections. When the helmet leans, one of those channels is virtually sealed. Can the altered flow extend as far back as the rear wing and have a significant effect?

Did anybody notice what the other drivers are doing?
Rivals, not enemies.

raymondu999

Re: Helmet position in corners

Indeed that is interesting - though I do seem to note Schumacher also seems to kind of lean his head out of the way on straights; apparently to maximize air intake by the airbox
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hollus

Does anybody know if in wind tunnel and CFD models teams actually tilt the drivers helmet? I've never seen a tilted helmet in a model.
In the straights and braking areas, that helmet will be predominantly centered; but in the corners, really, it hardly ever is centered, it is almost always tilted to the inside of the corner.
Do teams actually add this to their models in yaw?
Rivals, not enemies.

hardingfv32

The intake is optimized for one speed, could this be an attempt make adjustments of other speeds?

Brian

thisisatest

hollus wrote: He leans his head at the beginning of the corner, but then halfway through it, he often collects his head back to a more central position, sometimes in a chicane even looking the other way already in the first corner,
do you think he's just looking farther ahead, or looking ahead sooner than most?

hollus

I think he is intentionally pulling his helmet to a central position as soon as the has committed to the trajectory to the apex. Once your helmet is in the center, it becomes more natural to look at the next corner already. It is really difficult to look to your left with your head tilted to the right.
Rivals, not enemies.

aleks_ader

Hmm i also think that the driver helmet position makes really minimalistic diferences... So this discusion is useless... beacuse the all drivers "move" the head the same way!

Maybe the biggest efect have a shape and adds on the helmet...like spoilers, vents etc.

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

Aleksander, you'll find very very different helmet positionings driver to driver. Even between teammates.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CMSMJ1

It is just a personal style thing.

Hand position is also different though we don't see anyone with a style like Jean Alesi any more!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

raymondu999

CMSMJ1 wrote:It is just a personal style thing.

Hand position is also different though we don't see anyone with a style like Jean Alesi any more!
Fisichella used to do something similar...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK3C_zc1MXA
失败者找理由,成功者找方法