Designing a two element wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tozza Mazza

Designing a two element wing

How do I go about doing it?

I get designing a single aerofoil wing, but when you add a flap, it stops being simple!

The key seems to be in choosing the right aerofoils, and optimizing the slot gap.

Any help would be much appreciated.

wesley123
wesley123

Re: Designing a two element wing

I think in your case you need to start with a known example, for example the McLaren wing, or Ferrari wing, look at the flows these got and then try to make your own, then you have something to look at
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

scarbs
scarbs

I have a recent F1 two-element rear wing profile you can start from, PM me your email address...

mep

Just use a standard NACA profile. There is a massive ampount of data available for every purpose on the net. I am sure F1 teams use them too.

wesley123
wesley123

I seriously doubt it.

afaik NACA's arent high lift devices, and these are barely really used in multiple wing setup. There was another wing type which was used as high lift device. NACA wings also dont have the high amount of camber these wings tend to have.

Although not really well placed NACA profiles can be a good way to start, but might be better to just look at the model scarbs is able to send to you, learn from the flow field of this model and compare your own to it, learning from that.

As back to usage, I believer teams use their own profiles. An good example is the McLaren wing with the large flap, the front of the flap was mainly flat, with the rear having weird camber.

The Ferrari wing for example doesnt have an round edge, that is the starting edge bulges more around the underside than uppersides. Teams really tend to have different wing profiles, with the mclaren short chord wing seeming to have an weird main plane trailing edge 'forcing' air to the backside of the flap.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

This paper might have something for you:

High Downforce Aerodynamics for Motorsports

http://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/ir/bitst ... /1/etd.pdf

Brian

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

Although this was written with some intervention by marketing people its a semi-summary of some work I was contracted to do for a wing design using CFD. I hope it helps.

http://www.amb-aero.com/files/APR004_public.pdf

It was a bit different than the usual stuff I would do for motorsport, fun project actually.

About the profiles, I dont think anything out there really varies all that much from SOMETHING that was tested by NACA. People change the nose profile, camber and peak camber points but thats really about it. I dont even see the point in giving them so many names I can describe a 2d profile with five or six data points 99% of the time.

The recent innovations seem to all be playing with tip vortex formation, canted spans as well as all the trick little stall/anti stall devices you saw in F1. In SuperGT, some years back the rules changed to a single element, everyone was trying to get a bit more AOA before stall by forming vortices on the low pressure side it's standard fare now.

For F1, I suspect its heavily weighted toward the diffuser function ... the total car performance. My $.02.