How well did Pirelli do their job in 2011?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: How well did Pirelli do their job in 2011?

Jersey Tom wrote:The first tires Pirelli brought were significantly off in compounding if you ask me. One thing to ask for some give-up, but when the tire treads very rapidly disintegrate to dust all over the track.. it's obvious that things aren't what they're supposed to be. There IS such a thing as too much wear and give-up, where the cars are --- to drive and race. Took a while for Pirelli to address that issue, but they did solve it.
1) Could it be that Pirelli was asked to provide a tire the did if fact have more wear and give-up than you have ever been associated with? That your baseline is not appropriate? I have no recall of any other tire manufacture having to design or provide such a tire.

2) "But as I said, it's not just about the tire performance at the track. The "other" aspects are more what I give a low score. Wish I could disclose more specifics, but I won't here."

This statement is of no value to this discussion. We acknowledge your personal opinion on the Pirelli subject as a tire expert, just do not know enough about it to find it persuasive. Nothing wrong with that under your situation.

3) "In any event, all of this misses what I still think is the bigger issue. The racing itself is not particularly good and there is a huge disparity in competitiveness among the field. To rely on tires falling apart to make a race worth watching... is a band-aid on a much more fundamental issue."

This tire strategy is a valid tool for making the racing better. It adds a randomness to the cars performances. I would say that over the coarse of the season, statistically the results are that the same, the best team wins the championship. But during any segment of a particular race, you could expect more changes of position, which seem to be the current barometer for good racing.

Even if everyone raced spec cars, which are impossible to make equal, the better teams would do a better job of managing the situation.

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Are tire spring rates a simple test we might expect is possible in the team garage?

Where does spring rates stack up in the list of simple tests to apply to the tires?

Brian

strad

hardingfv32 I'm with you til you get to...
This tire strategy is a valid tool for making the racing better
It definitely does not,,,in fact it creates one line and no racing.

And JT on this we definitely agree
To rely on tires falling apart to make a race worth watching... is a band-aid on a much more fundamental issue."
But I still say Pirelli gave them what they demanded,,,not necessarily the tire they would have wanted to supply.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Could we not assume that the teams had all the events tires in their possession on Friday morning this year and could have mixed and matched as they wished using static type criteria?

Would this mean we would expect to see some kind of on track mix and match program?

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

strad wrote:hardingfv32 I'm with you til you get to...
This tire strategy is a valid tool for making the racing better
It definitely does not,,,in fact it creates one line and no racing.
The basic premiss of using the tires for better racing is valid. I would agree that one line was an issue. No one said that these tire completely fulfilled this requirement.

One thing for sure is that you are not going to make the teams performance equal.

So this is a new type of engineering challenge or requirement from F1 management: How to make the racing "show" better? Are you purist out there up for this?

Brian

strad

One thing for sure is that you are not going to make the teams performance equal.
I DONT WANT TO
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Well I guess we do not put you in charge of the "Better Racing" development program.

We need someone that understands the F1 "show" business model.

Brian

strad

Why would I want to make them equal? That is their job...to claw and scrabble their way to the top.
Sir Stirling Moss