What is the process of making monocoque shell for f1 chassis

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
QFS1

What is the process of making monocoque shell for f1 chassis

I'm doing some research on carbon fiber chassis and I'm coming up dry when it come to showing how they produce the complex shell of the chassis. Im wondering if they make the tub in one solid part then cure it or two parts and epoxy the top and bottom together to make one part.

ESPImperium

Re: What is the process of making monocoque shell for f1 cha

There are two ways, top and bottom wafer or whole. Whole is more labour intensive and harder to modify and repair. Top & Bottom is less labour intence but mesurements have to be correct otherwise top and bottom when gued will mis match.

There are others here who will tell you how its dont better than i. All i know is that Lotus nee Renault does the as a whole method and Force India have their subcontractor do the 2 wafer mentod.

neilbah

I believe if you look for the manufacturing videos/photos of the failed USF1 project you may see some of the construction processes. Most current teams guard this stuff, usf1 on the other hand were under pressure to prove they had something in the works...

for example http://youtu.be/GVYZDsc6XWo shows some images of the tub lay up, amongst other parts

marcush.

I´m not entirely sure but i think renault and others produce their monocoque from two full molds -somewhere here in this forum there were pictures of Renault monocoque molds which were marked R 29(?)-1 and -2 I´d guess no team does produce two molds for their monocoque production?