EBD loss could be up to 20% of total downforce - Symonds

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PlatinumZealot

EBD loss could be up to 20% of total downforce - Symonds

Nice podcast interview with Pat Symonds. Very revealing on the EBD Engine maps and other aero topics such as copying using photos and how driving style matches the tyres and much more. Very good podcast.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/op ... t-symonds/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Re: EBD loss could be up to 20% of total downforce - Symonds

20% where though? I'm quite sure it would be different at a corner like La Source versus a flat out fast corner; no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pingguest
Pingguest

Personally, I think the ban on aggressive off-throttle engine maps will have a lot more consequences. In 2008 the off-throttle engine maps were introduced to overcome the ban on the engine braking systems. In my opinion the new regulation is unjust, as the off-throttle engine map is one side of the coin. The 'on-throttle' drive-by-wire system is on the other side.

Websta

raymondu999 wrote:20% where though? I'm quite sure it would be different at a corner like La Source versus a flat out fast corner; no?
It would depend on how sensitive the performance of the EBD is to the velocity of the air flow. I would imagine that the exhaust blown effect is optimised to boost the performance of the diffuser in medium speed corners as aero performance at high speed would be dominated by the floor, diffuser on it's own and the front/rear wing. But I don't know the mechanism of the EBD or whether it could be optimised for a specific flow velocity. I would read up on it, but now that it's banned I guess there isn't much point.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Pat Symonds did say....UP TO a 20% loss.

So that is clearly a maximum loss of 20% with less loss at less aero dependant corners.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Why wouldn't downforce difference be highest (in percentage terms) in slow corners? There the cars have the least downforce, so surely the percentage should be higher?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:Why wouldn't downforce difference be highest (in percentage terms) in slow corners? There the cars have the least downforce, so surely the percentage should be higher?
I agree with Raymundo, surely the 20% number is more La Source than Pouhon.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Websta

Pierce89 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Why wouldn't downforce difference be highest (in percentage terms) in slow corners? There the cars have the least downforce, so surely the percentage should be higher?
I agree with Raymundo, surely the 20% number is more La Source than Pouhon.
That would only be the case if the EBD produced a large amount of downforce in slow corners. I thought that the EBD was used to channel/accelerate airflow in the diffuser, not to purely supply flow? The exhausts are only sucked through the diffuser due to the lower pressure from airflow under the floor. They also create an air wall to stop other air getting sucked into the diffuser which would just dissipate energy (I think). If that is the case, then the EBD would not produce a much larger amount of downforce at a slow corner than a standard diffuser would given that it is still dependent on the energy of the airflow. I would suspect that the %20 reduction in downforce would occur in the medium to high speed corners.