Aerodynamic implications of nose inlets

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
strad

Re: Aerodynamic implications of nose inlets

+2 :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:If it's not my hologram projector - hey, it wouldn't be illegal - I agree that it's for KERS/driver cooling, simply because the truth behind a mystery is rarely as sexy as you want it to be.
I love the hologram projector idea. I thought of maybe having a pair of machine gun muzzles peeking out from under the intake. "Watch it! Vettel on your 6!" Nah, that would never work... Vettel's always out front! :P

bhall

You know what they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." And Red Bull is doing a wonderful impression of Ferrari.

I wonder if the slot could be an ATM.

Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:You know what they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." And Red Bull is doing a wonderful impression of Ferrari.

I wonder if the slot could be an ATM.
Why would Red Bull want to imitate the third place team? Just razzing you. I would love to see the Ferraris and the McLarens be more competitive this year. I think they will be.

The Red Bull cars have definitely been ATMs for Sebastian Vettel.

hardingfv32

radosav wrote:article about FW F-Duct
This article is discredited by the fact that the rules clearly state that a nose tip inlet can only be for driver cooling.

Brian

radosav

hardingfv32 wrote:
radosav wrote:article about FW F-Duct
This article is discredited by the fact that the rules clearly state that a nose tip inlet can only be for driver cooling.

Brian
yes, but RB8 inlet isn't a nose tip inlet, or even nose inlet

hardingfv32

OK, then what is your understanding of how the flow is controlled or varied into the inlet as shown in the article?

Brian

radosav

hardingfv32 wrote:OK, then what is your understanding of how the flow is controlled or varied into the inlet as shown in the article?

Brian
i don't know. maybe RB8 has diffusor in that big inlet

hardingfv32

I was thinking about the Front Wing F Duct control method. Something has to change between a turn and straight. I am assuming it is the attitude of the chassis to the air flow. That is what the above article is proposing.

I don't see a horizontal letter box opening as being effective. A vertical slot would be much better.

Brian

Tozza Mazza

Brian,

you say that nose inlets must only be used for driver cooling.

Do you have the article number where this is written down in the technical regulations?

I'm looking at working to design a similar thing to a W-Duct, with a possibility of looking into super-circulation, or induced stall, just to see the effect of such a system.

Cheers.

hardingfv32

3.7.8 Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical
cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front
wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the
reference plane.
Any cameras or camera housings approved by the FIA in addition to a single inlet aperture for
the purpose of driver cooling (such aperture having a maximum projected surface area of
1500mm2 and being situated forward of the section referred to in Article 15.4.3) will be exempt
from the above.

Out of curiosity what do you think they are talking about in the first sentence? I have a hard time converting their words into images.

Brian

Tozza Mazza

hardingfv32 wrote:3.7.8 Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical
cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front
wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the
reference plane.
Any cameras or camera housings approved by the FIA in addition to a single inlet aperture for
the purpose of driver cooling (such aperture having a maximum projected surface area of
1500mm2 and being situated forward of the section referred to in Article 15.4.3) will be exempt
from the above.

Out of curiosity what do you think they are talking about in the first sentence? I have a hard time converting their words into images.

Brian
This point is the nose box. It sets out its minimum dimensions and states that it must be an open section.
1.21 Open and closed sections :
A section will be considered closed if it is fully complete within the dimensioned boundary to which it is referenced, if it is not it will be considered open.
What confuses me, is that there is a whopping great bulkhead in between the nose inlet and the driver, meaning 0% of that air would get to the driver anyway :?

hardingfv32

Tozza Mazza wrote:What confuses me, is that there is a whopping great bulkhead in between the nose inlet and the driver, meaning 0% of that air would get to the driver anyway :?
No, there is a big opening in the center of the front bulkhead. Yes, full with a lot of stuff, but room for some air flow.

Brian

Adrian Newby

They could easily do something like this on the RB8 by putting the diffuser over the driver's toes, then running those small tubes back through the bulkhead. A portion of the center flow could also be used for driver cooling.