2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

The exhaust? Oh, that's just a way to get gasses out of the engine. What else would it be? :D

If you are saying that the flow through the tunnel would be largely the same if the tunnel wasn't there, I agree. The bridge is the new bit. The hole under it enables the flow to keep going where it was going.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Pup wrote:Hey everybody, I'm new here and was wondering if you guys have any idea what Red Bull are trying to accomplish with their exhaust?

Just kidding. Oh, how I kid. :?

Personally, I think y'alls problem is that you're thinking too much about the tunnel and not enough about what makes it. That is, the tunnel has always been there - it's just that they hadn't pointed it out for you.
I'm not sure what you mean Pup? I don't think the reason for the tunnel is under discussion, McLaren achieve the same thing without a tunnel.
Obviously it's about what the exhaust does or doesn't do.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

How does this exhaust flow seal the diffuser? Air screen, vortex, etc?

How narrow do you think the exhaust plume is by the time it reaches diffuser edge?

I say the plume would be highly dispersed and you have nothing in the area of the diffuser edge to gather it up into a useful flow.

It is my claim that even if the flow is routed to the diffuser edge it is of no value for sealing.

Brian

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

hardingfv32 wrote:
It is my claim that even if the flow is routed to the diffuser edge it is of no value for sealing.

Brian
Brian, let's just agree to disagree.

You don't think the exhaust is intended to seal the diffuser, so you look for numbers that tell you that.

We think the exhaust is intended to seal the diffuser, and we will always believe Adrian Newey's numbers over yours.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Adrian Newby wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian

You don't think the exhaust is intended to seal the diffuser, so you look for numbers that tell you that.

We think the exhaust is intended to seal the diffuser, and we will always believe Adrian Newey's numbers over yours.
Hey Neweby, we can add Scarbs to our side. :P
I mean it's not a coincidence Ferrari, RB & McLaren all tried similar solutions. All with the same intention...

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Adrian Newby wrote: let's just agree to disagree.
I have asked an interesting question. My though is if it can not be demonstrated that this exhaust flow can seal the diffuser, then there is no reason to route it there.

Last year we had the exhaust forming a vortex at the diffuser edge. I believe the low strake in front of the inside edge of the rear tire is there to form a vortex using the flow around the side pod. It is not possible to get the exhaust flow in line with this axis of this strake to help improve the vortex formation.

Brian

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian

Hey Neweby, we can add Scarbs to our side. :P
I mean it's not a coincidence Ferrari, RB & McLaren all tried similar solutions. All with the same intention...

Nice field work, Crucial!!! Well done, Sir!

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

bhallg2k wrote:I guess I needed to be a little more explicit.

I think the "inboarders" have won the day.

(You know what I hate more than being wrong? Having to say it twice.)
Sorry, I have no clue why those pictures are shown and what on them proves flow goes inboard.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Adrian Newby wrote:

Well we lost Bhall so we needed another voice. :D

I just don't get how some don't see it.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote:
Well we lost Bhall so we needed another voice. :D

I just don't get how some don't see it.
Well, you picked a good one with Scarbs! =D> Not that he would have fallen for it, but nice work not presenting it as a "leading" question to him. A simple, direct question and a simple, direct answer.

I'm not giving up on Brother Bhall just yet. I think Kilcoo put something in his coffee. He'll be better after it wears off!

I'm the same way, man. It just seems so obvious to me that I don't know how others don't see it.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

hardingfv32 wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote: let's just agree to disagree.
I have asked an interesting question. My though is if it can not be demonstrated that this exhaust flow can seal the diffuser, then there is no reason to route it there.

Brian
Yes, it's two different ways of looking at it. You are saying that if there isn't enough flow, it doesn't matter where the exhaust is meant to go. And we are saying that if Adrian Newey intends for the exhaust to go there, he would have first determined there was enough exhaust flow to get the job done.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I just don't get how some don't see it.
What does the flow do when it gets to the edge of the diffuser? How is it made to do something useful? How does it seal the diffuser? Why route it there if you can not demonstrate value?

Why route more flow to an area that is already leaking to the underside of the diffuser?

I claim it can not be made to do anything useful.

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Adrian Newby wrote: to get the job done.
Please expand on the 'job to be done'.

Are you proposing sealing the edge of the diffuser? What technique are you using to seal with? What components accomplish this that we can observe?

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32 on 10 Mar 2012, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Pup wrote:My opinion is that the philosophy of the RB's rear end is in conflict with McLaren's exhaust solution, and the 'bridge', which is what's important, was Newey's strategy of resolving that conflict and keeping the airflows separate. It didn't seem to have worked.
If you want flow to seal the edge of the diffuser, why would you route some of the body air flow away with the tunnel? I know you are claiming that this makes it better for the exhaust flow to make its way to the edge, but why not use a system that routes all flows to the edge?

Brian

beelsebob
beelsebob

hardingfv32 wrote:
Pup wrote:My opinion is that the philosophy of the RB's rear end is in conflict with McLaren's exhaust solution, and the 'bridge', which is what's important, was Newey's strategy of resolving that conflict and keeping the airflows separate. It didn't seem to have worked.
If you want flow to seal the edge of the diffuser, why would you route some of the body air flow away with the tunnel? I know you are claiming that this makes it better for the exhaust flow to make its way to the edge, but why not use a system that routes all flows to the edge?
Apply your argument to the RB7, and then realise how invalid it is.