Driver's suit air conditioning?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
g-force_addict

Driver's suit air conditioning?

Why FIA won't allow an air conditioning system pumping cold air to the drivers suits thru a hose?

This would greatly improve drivers comfort and performance.
Maybe F1 drivers need to start a strike?

flynfrog

Re: Driver's suit air conditioning?

g-force_addict wrote:Why FIA won't allow an air conditioning system pumping cold air to the drivers suits thru a hose?

This would greatly improve drivers comfort and performance.
Maybe F1 drivers need to start a strike?
I don't believe that it is against the rules its just not worth the weight.

Federico

NASCAR uses a air conditioned helmet but the cooling box is huge:

I also saw a liquid cooled shirt but the box is even bigger:

n_anirudh

DC once wore a cooling vest

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi8sj98pHZQ[/youtube]

raymondu999

I think most drivers still wear coolvests - just not in the car.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

g-force_addict

Federico wrote:NASCAR uses a air conditioned helmet but the cooling box is huge:

I also saw a liquid cooled shirt but the box is even bigger:
FIA should allow some concessions to compensate for the size and weight.
Again F1 drivers need to fight for their rights.

Ray

This is Formula 1. They could shrink that box to the size of a deck of cards and it'll work beautifully. Although, it's not really comparable to NASCAR because those cars are literally ovens inside and they race for around 4 hours and not a maximum of 2. Would be neat to see what they'd come up with though.

emaren

RickDavis wrote:It's to do with conditioning, the more you train in hot/humid conditions the better your body is able to cope with higher temperatures. It's like athletes who have to play in hot conditions overseas will fly out weeks before and do training over there to acclimate to local conditions.

There's no magic pill or fancy tech that will lower your core body temperature.

Cool vests and cold drinks are more for comfort than a part of any serious heat reduction strategy. Nothing trumps hard work and training.
At a race in California last year, the track temps were way over 110F, at 10AM and it only got worse until sun-down. tTe inside of the car was around 130F for most of the day. I'm pretty fit, I run and cycle vast distances and for my age at least and I trained in high temp/humidity. On my second 90 minute stint the pump powering my cool vest died after about 40 minutes. Within about 20 minutes I felt like I was close to passing out. The combination of an extremely physical car, relatively tight track, very little additional driver cooling, poor in-car airflow and a drinks bottle that I consumed in the first half an hour left me in a terrible way. I made it to about 75 minutes, then there was a full-course yellow and I got a little respite, we pitted for gas and a new cool-box and the next driver was OK.

During the event, a number of drivers ran really short stints because concentrating in the heat is extremely tough, drinking enough liquid and wearing cool suits/vests is vital.

I know that at least in the past some F1 drivers have used Peltier systems to try to keep them cool.......

Luke

emaren wrote:
RickDavis wrote:It's to do with conditioning, the more you train in hot/humid conditions the better your body is able to cope with higher temperatures. It's like athletes who have to play in hot conditions overseas will fly out weeks before and do training over there to acclimate to local conditions.

There's no magic pill or fancy tech that will lower your core body temperature.

Cool vests and cold drinks are more for comfort than a part of any serious heat reduction strategy. Nothing trumps hard work and training.
At a race in California last year, the track temps were way over 110F, at 10AM and it only got worse until sun-down. tTe inside of the car was around 130F for most of the day. I'm pretty fit, I run and cycle vast distances and for my age at least and I trained in high temp/humidity. On my second 90 minute stint the pump powering my cool vest died after about 40 minutes. Within about 20 minutes I felt like I was close to passing out. The combination of an extremely physical car, relatively tight track, very little additional driver cooling, poor in-car airflow and a drinks bottle that I consumed in the first half an hour left me in a terrible way. I made it to about 75 minutes, then there was a full-course yellow and I got a little respite, we pitted for gas and a new cool-box and the next driver was OK.

During the event, a number of drivers ran really short stints because concentrating in the heat is extremely tough, drinking enough liquid and wearing cool suits/vests is vital.

I know that at least in the past some F1 drivers have used Peltier systems to try to keep them cool.......
Yep. a failed cool suit is worse than no coolsuit as it acts as an insulating layer holding your body heat in!

F1 cars have one big difference to a nascar. There are no heat generating devices in front of the driver. No exhaust systems running in front of and underneath the driver, etc. Also of course being open cockpit there is a plentiful amount of air to cool the drivers head.

For the penalty every kg is in terms of lap time on an F1 car, and for the above reasons, its not worth it

J.A.W.

I 'm guessing that Co2 evaporative coolant suit plumbing would be 'banned' in F1 -due to it not being enviro-friendly?

Maybe not for NASCAR - in states other than California - though..

When I was working in a complex that had access to 'dry-ice' Co2,
In summer - I'd fill the pockets of my motorcycle protective over-suit, & get some evap' cooling that way..
..for some relief from the heat - on the ride home..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Pilatus

Air conditioned suits?

Yeah, Formula 1 had it 12 years ago:

(British GP. 2002)

Tim.Wright

Why on earth would you need an air conditioned suit in England??
Not the engineer at Force India

awizul

Tim.Wright wrote:Why on earth would you need an air conditioned suit in England??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D> =D>

stefan_

Tim.Wright wrote:Why on earth would you need an air conditioned suit in England??
Because f**k logic, that's why :D

Anyway, McLaren's idea was pretty neat at the time.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Ciro Pabón

Oh, c'mon, Tim. To stay warm, that's why.

Londoners are a hardened bunch...
Ciro