Exploit brake ducts for wing stall control?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
WhiteBlue

Exploit brake ducts for wing stall control?

Mario Theissen was a guest commentator on Sky Germany yesterday. He pointed towards article 3.15:
3.15 Aerodynamic influence :
With the exception of the driver adjustable bodywork described in Article 3.18 (in addition to
minimal parts solely associated with its actuation) and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any
specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance :
‐ Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
‐ Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not
having any degree of freedom).
‐ Must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
The engineers are obviously already exploiting the other exception to the moving aero parts rule by connecting F-ducts to the DRS device. What if a team would use air from a brake duct to control stall air to the front wing.

Williams seem to have a complicated system of collecting air by the brake duct. Could they be bringing it to the nose via hollow uprights?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

eddie

Re: Exploit brake ducts for wing stall control?

and the brake ducts move with steering input so you could possible control the amount of flow based on steering angle...steering straight front wing stalls.

siskue2005

great idea

hardingfv32

WhiteBlue wrote: What if a team would use air from a brake duct to control stall air to the front wing.
1) I would say the flow into the ducts is controlled by the flow around the tire. I am not sure this flow is going to vary much with small steering angles. To make these F-duct systems viable you really need something that is close to on and off, not slowly transitioning from mostly on to mostly off.

2) How do you get the flow from the hub to the chassis? This is a deal breaker.

Brian

WhiteBlue

hollow uprights?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

eddie

hardingfv32 wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote: What if a team would use air from a brake duct to control stall air to the front wing.
1) I would say the flow into the ducts is controlled by the flow around the tire. I am not sure this flow is going to vary much with small steering angles. To make these F-duct systems viable you really need something that is close to on and off, not slowly transitioning from mostly on to mostly off.

2) How do you get the flow from the hub to the chassis? This is a deal breaker.

Brian
I don't know Brian I am not an engineer...the obvious choice would be a hollow upright, aren't the uprights already hollow and filled with foam?

I don't think it would be possible to get the "mass flow" to stall the front wing using the break ducts but it might be a solution to get the "signalling" flow to activate the front wing f-duct.

Maybe combine a McLaren style front wing (titling rearward at speed) and tune it to work with the break duct inlet to stall the front wing at a given speed...

hardingfv32

eddie wrote:...the obvious choice would be a hollow upright, aren't the uprights already hollow and filled with foam?
1) The upright is not the real issue. How do you articulate the duct at the hub for the steering movements that is a compact and streamline method. At the chassis you are going to need a large hole next the a control arm mounting point.

2) Still not addressing the fact that this system does not produce a usable flow signal over a small steering angle range.

This is a thoughtful approach to providing a flow signal, just not practical.

Brian