Front Wing End Plates??

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ublu32

Front Wing End Plates??

I'm trying to build a scale model of a front wing for wind tunnel testing, but I can't find much information on end plate design?? Just wondering does anybody have any advice or tips??

cheers :)

Lycoming

Re: Front Wing End Plates??

what kind of information are you looking for? design? shape? size? manufacturing? testing? And what kind of wing, do you mean an F1 style wing, or just a simple wing with endplates?

ublu32

Sorry, it's a model of an F1 front wing, but a basic model at that! I know the basic regulations with regards to minimum required areas.
What I'm really wondering is, does it have an aerofoil profile, should the end plate be straight with curved elements, or the end plate to be curved itself, and if so, how to attach the aerofoil wing sections?!

I have my main wing section designed, but now. if the end plate is curved, I will have to alter the aerofoil design, and will this impact on any rules with regard to maximum width of wing section?! Just kinda confused!!

Monster_Energy_F1

I can send you a CAD Endplate for you to get inspirtation?

N12ck

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:I can send you a CAD Endplate for you to get inspirtation?
monster, your endplate doesnt follow the general pattern of f1 cars so I don't think it would be much use
Budding F1 Engineer

N12ck

ublu32 wrote:Sorry, it's a model of an F1 front wing, but a basic model at that! I know the basic regulations with regards to minimum required areas.
What I'm really wondering is, does it have an aerofoil profile, should the end plate be straight with curved elements, or the end plate to be curved itself, and if so, how to attach the aerofoil wing sections?!

I have my main wing section designed, but now. if the end plate is curved, I will have to alter the aerofoil design, and will this impact on any rules with regard to maximum width of wing section?! Just kinda confused!!
the endplate is curved, the endplate goes within this boxed area,
Budding F1 Engineer

Monster_Energy_F1

My endplate is simple yet effective N1ck :/

N12ck

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:My endplate is simple yet effective N1ck :/
one of the outer elements on your endplate curved inwards, which is the opposite of what you want, which wrecks the vorticies made by the outwash endplates
Budding F1 Engineer

Monster_Energy_F1

I've updated that ages ago :L

flynfrog

so you have data to back that up :lol:

N12ck

flynfrog wrote: