Excessive marbling in China

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

Excessive marbling in China

I put forth to Paul Hembery on Twitter the question of why the tyres were marbling so bad in China. His reply was:

"China was a surprise,we agree with you.No indication from winter test and improved end season 2011.We're looking to improve."

So he doesn't know what caused it. Could it be possibly the high lateral loadings? Other than in Melbourne T11/12 they haven't had much racing on any high lateral-G corners. I don't think Malaysia counts given the weather. I guess the marbles would wash away in that race? I don't know.

What are your takes on this?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

Re: Excessive marbling in China

Different type of asphalt maybe?

The track itself is very technical and certain parts are lowspeed stuff but still we see marbles on the whole back straight which is 1km long.

It´s insane that so much rubber can fill up that long and wide of a straight.
And not just there but everywhere on the track it was completely covered in marbles.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Giblet
Giblet

Bahrain indeed has special asphalt.

Wikikikpedia wrote: The surface of the track is made of Graywacke aggregate, shipped to Bahrain from Bayston Hill quarry in Shropshire, England. The surface material is highly acclaimed by circuit bosses and Formula 1 drivers for the high level of grip it offers. The same aggregate material is used at the Yas Marina Circuit for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.[8]
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Nando
Nando

One idea is that the track is very rarely used which can cause graining and high wear.
Tarmac is also from my understanding very smooth.

I know last year they had the same issue there.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

what about the high centripetal force on the tyres on the back straight? could that literally be ripping the tyre to bits.

IMO these tyres are too soft, Monaco will be like an ice rink again this year
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

I doubt it. If last year is anything to go by - these tyres don't really mind traction. It's high lateral that burns and kills them. The races with more stops have been Suzuka, Barcelona, Turkey. Silverstone probably would've been had it not been wet. Canada was predicted to be a 2 stopper. Monza despite low downforce and such high traction demands from very slow corners was a 2 stopper IIRC. Don't forget last year Vettel did 60-odd laps on a set of softs in Monaco too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

I thought suzuka was a 3 stop race for most? the other examples certainly do highlight the point though. But China only has 3 corners with high lateral loading, and there was a lot of marbling on the back straight if memory serves. The entry to turn 1 is unsurprising, however.

raymondu999

Suzuka was just barely 3 stop - the drivers all said it was a painful tyre management exercise. Don't forget they had a safety car to rest the tyres too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法