McLaren Adjustable Brake Duct

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

McLaren Adjustable Brake Duct

scarbs wrote:
(This is) an adjuster for the brake duct opening around the disc. This sends more heat to the wheel and hence into the tyre. The team use it to alter rear tyre temp over the weekend , presumably in the race too!

1) How does heat from the disc get to the inside half of the rim with these fully enclosed brake housings?

2) This looks like a duct adding air flow after the disc exhausts. Why? Am I correct to assume disc cooling flow is always inside to outside?

Brian

strad

Re: McLaren Adjustable Brake Duct

I think that when dealing with temps like the brakes reach, it can't help but radiate to the tire.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Could the duct in the lower photo be a brake cooling flow bypass route?

Brian

mbb72
mbb72

mclaren adjustable brakeduct

Hi all I'm a new member hoping someone can confirm if mclaren are using their adjustable brakeduct to control tyre temperature. Everything i have seen/read left me with the impression it may be mainly used for something else, with a secondry benefit to tyre temperature.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 24 May 2012, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged into existing brakeduct discussion.

mbb72
mbb72

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/05/1 ... ake-ducts/

I found this the other day which offers brief description of how it works