Possible Mercedes WO3 suspension concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Ross Brawn has revealed in German media they have introduced a new step of sophistication with their suspension front rear connection :

His words were,the system was in its first iteration retrofitted to the W02 but was integrated into w03 package from the word go.
The aim is to reduce pitching and oscillations front rear..

MercAMGF1Fans

marcush. wrote:Ross Brawn has revealed in German media they have introduced a new step of sophistication with their suspension front rear connection :

His words were,the system was in its first iteration retrofitted to the W02 but was integrated into w03 package from the word go.
The aim is to reduce pitching and oscillations front rear..
OOOO!!! is this??!!! what we all think it is??!! "Mercury suspension" :D

marcush.

sure ..what else? :mrgreen:

MercAMGF1Fans

marcush. wrote:sure ..what else? :mrgreen:
FINALLY!!! =D> =D> =D>

ForMuLaOne

Well, seems like when they developed their interlinked suspension, an aero guy had a beer with one of the suspension guys and thougth.....interconnect front and rear....wait....i can do something about it as well :D

zyphro

marcush. wrote:sure ..what else? :mrgreen:

Is it really Mercury suspension???

:D :D

marcush.

the door seems to be open...

brawn is that kind of guy ..wade through the regulations and look for areas where you can exploit grey areas from text interpretation methinks..

back in Ferrari they had electronic brake balance shifting but switched the system off when applying the brakes to stay legal... :roll:

MercAMGF1Fans

yeah.. gotta be via the brake bias, as that isn't automated..

zyphro

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:yeah.. gotta be via the brake bias, as that isn't automated..
Good spot!

The_Truth

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 50218.html
-With regard to the release and control of gas flow explains that the W03 is a rather conventional drive, not seeking to redirect gas diffuser, to other parts of the body or the brake lines of the rear wheels, but directly to the clamping plane rear wing, which is a use of the advantages of which exhaust gases have already been tested for many years before that broadcasters from entering blown fray.

-An important section is the chassis and suspension. Brawn said that the car literally "think" when accelerating and braking. The damping system is interconnected four-wheel hydraulically compensates for the imbalance produced under braking and acceleration. The system already introduced last year, but this season they have perfected a new level, because last year it added a posteriori, and this time is fully integrated into the car.

-Finally this year notes that the battle has become longer, more conventional, to improve weight distribution and, more space in the rear, have been able to place the transmission and the lower tank, which obviously improves center of gravity.

-In these tests in Mugello are dedicated to improving the work with the tires and say the wind tunnel data very good promise in paragraph aerodynamic improvements.

scarbs

ForMuLaOne wrote:Well, seems like when they developed their interlinked suspension, an aero guy had a beer with one of the suspension guys and thougth.....interconnect front and rear....wait....i can do something about it as well :D
Or rather Renaults engineer joined Mercedes and introduced what Renault, Ferrari and McLaren have had for several years?

Ferraripilot

scarbs wrote:
ForMuLaOne wrote:Well, seems like when they developed their interlinked suspension, an aero guy had a beer with one of the suspension guys and thougth.....interconnect front and rear....wait....i can do something about it as well :D
Or rather Renaults engineer joined Mercedes and introduced what Renault, Ferrari and McLaren have had for several years?

I see that as the case Scarbs. Although I'm wondering what is so special about the Bob Bell/Renault system that there's so much conjecture about it.

We can see W03 has a soft front end and seems to roll more than other chassis, but how is this suspension system controlling dive as it does so well with such a soft front end. I believe it has an 'X' factor to it others just don't have. It quite literally seems to have a brain in the hydraulic lines deducing what needs to go where. I have a feeling that when they get this right they will have a very dominant car on their hands so much so that the FIA will ban interconnected suspensions one day.....
Last edited by Ferraripilot on 04 May 2012, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

zyphro

scarbs wrote:
How big of a gain would the said component bring?

Ferraripilot

zyphro wrote:
scarbs wrote:
How big of a gain would the said component bring?
I think it's impossible to say as we don't know how well the first generation worked on W03.

zyphro

Ferraripilot wrote:
scarbs wrote:

I see that as the case Scarbs. Although I'm wondering what is so special about the Bob Bell/Renault system that there's so much conjecture about it.

We can see W03 has a soft front end and seems to roll more than other chassis, but how is this suspension system controlling dive as it does so well with such a soft front end. I believe it has an 'X' factor to it others just don't have. It quite literally seems to have a brain in the hydraulic lines deducing what needs to go where. I have a feeling that when they get this right they will have a very dominant car on their hands so much so that the FIA will ban interconnected suspensions one day.....
Would this suspension trick bring in more tyre performance?