Sauber Front Suspension

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32

Sauber Front Suspension

What is the link connecting the what is usually the ends of the torsion bars?

Brian

kebab

Re: Sauber Front Suspension

It looks like a temporary link rather than a permanent. May be it's used for setup the torsion bars

Crucial_Xtreme

There's a strut between the torsion bars.

kebab

a strut bar is a possibility but isn't that end of the torsion bar supposed to be fix?

marcush.

small pic ,but Renault R31+ R30 had it as well.discussed this back then in the car thread .
R29 did not have it ,but I think R28 or 27..

DaveW

A neat way to decouple heave/pitch and roll stiffness & to preload the springs, perhaps.

marcush.

DaveW wrote:A neat way to decouple heave/pitch and roll stiffness & to preload the springs, perhaps.
that was my thought

Jersey Tom

If you have a solid bar there preventing your torsion bars from rotating in opposing directions, your wheel rate (not ride rate) in heave would be infinite, would it not? Would it not lock out the suspension travel?

I'd think that would be a setup tool.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

marcush.

the reanult has the same and it´s definetly not for setup

DaveW

Jersey Tom wrote:If you have a solid bar there preventing your torsion bars from rotating in opposing directions, your wheel rate (not ride rate) in heave would be infinite, would it not? Would it not lock out the suspension travel?.
I suspect you have misread the layout, JT. What can see is the (notional) fixed end of the torsion bar. The other (hidden) end will be attached to the rocker. It follows that roll motion will not be restrained by the torsion bars, but it will be a separate (hidden) bar (probably quite a soft one). The ride height (preload) will be set by then length of the tie rod (probably has a length adjuster)

Jersey Tom

I'd have to see the thing, since it's not a suspension topology I usually work with!

Fixed end? So with the link not there, if you were to put one wheel in jounce that splined end would not rotate?

If it does, then the link in there would not affect roll, I agree.. but it would lock out your axle jounce.

I would have thought it a handy way of setting a nominal axle displacement or just preventing the wheels from going full droop with the car on stands even without main springs in.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tim.Wright

I think Dave is correct.

In heave, the ends you see are locked and the other ends (at the rocker) rotate like a normal torsion bar.

In roll the linked ands at the front follow each other (and their respective input sides) and as a result the torsion bars dont twist.

Seems a quite simple method of completely decoupling heave and roll.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

Jersey Tom

Ahh OK. I see. So ordinarily that visible end of each bar would be fixed. By removing that constraint and putting the rigid link in place, you fix the ends of the bars for axle jounce but completely disengage the main springs for any amount of roll stiffness.

That's slick. I like that.

GSpeedR

What mechanism will resist roll on this setup?

Edit: I assume something not shown in the pictures(?).

Jersey Tom

They still have ARB's activated by the rockers. I believe that's out of sight in these pictures.

Might have to go up to a 2 5/8" sway bar to get the roll stiffness with zero contribution from the main springs...