Lotus E20 VD

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mike
3
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Australia, Melbourne

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby mike » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

too high to be blowing at the diffuser...
Last edited by mike on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlYiNgIcEmAn
4
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 am

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby FlYiNgIcEmAn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

First draw from Scarb
The Lotus E20 DRS appears to blow the diffuser, then blows over the beam wing when DRS is open.
Image
Last edited by FlYiNgIcEmAn on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N12ck
12
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby N12ck » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/226 ... 60/photo/1

scarbs take on it :D :D :D

what was that about it not blowing over the top of the diffuser?
Last edited by N12ck on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Budding F1 Engineer

Owen.C93
131
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby Owen.C93 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

N12ck wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
N12ck wrote:
it is not stalling the rear wing, it is blowing over the top of the diffuser

They could do that 24/7 if they wanted, no need to make a stupidly complex DRS system.


I might be wrong, but it looks like the ducts lead down to the diffuser area

Oh I thought you meant the beam wing exit.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

alogoc
-10
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby alogoc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
The Lotus E20 DRS appears to blow the diffuser, then blows over the beam wing when DRS is open.


https://p.twimg.com/AyQAPV8CIAAlc2h.jpg
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

N12ck
12
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby N12ck » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:26 pm

alogoc wrote:Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
The Lotus E20 DRS appears to blow the diffuser, then blows over the beam wing when DRS is open.


https://p.twimg.com/AyQAPV8CIAAlc2h.jpg


exactley what I have been saying all along!
Budding F1 Engineer

alogoc
-10
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby alogoc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 pm

The only problem is Grosjean is faster whitout it! it's a waste of money!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

mike
3
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Australia, Melbourne

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby mike » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:28 pm

3 pipes????!!?!?!?
and now I dont get how he is losing downforce at low speeds

hammarby88
0
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby hammarby88 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Owen.C93 wrote:
N12ck wrote:
mike wrote:the wing is at high pressure so when is on normal mode the pressure stops the air from coming up from the holes, when drs opens the pressure is lower since there is only one profile working the air comes up and pushes the air from the top of the profile to the bottom stalling the wing.


it is not stalling the rear wing, it is blowing over the top of the diffuser

They could do that 24/7 if they wanted, no need to make a stupidly complex DRS system.



Could do both no?
When DRS is closed, the air from the inlets on the rollhoop is blown out the big hole aka longer version of RBR outlet pretty much. When DRS opens ducts opens mercedes style but blows over the diffusor as N12ck said, meaning DRS with better grip. On top of that a third duct is revealed in the main plane rear wing which makes some of the air going trough that large tube from roolhoop go blow up onto the opened DRS flap mean it could stall the main plane slightly AND increase the pressure to the ducts leading to diffusor.

Sounds possible N12ck?

Owen.C93
131
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby Owen.C93 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Well looking at this image I really can't see how it's ducted to the diffuser. There does seem to be one small hole above the starter motor slot that may be ducted but that's tiny compared to the rest of the inlet.
Image
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hammarby88
0
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby hammarby88 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Owen.C93 wrote:Well looking at this image I really can't see how it's ducted to the diffuser. There does seem to be one small hole above the starter motor slot that may be ducted but that's tiny compared to the rest of the inlet.
Image


The endplates go all the way to the floor.

alogoc
-10
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby alogoc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm

There is no flow-wizz paint on diffusor,so maybe Scrabs is wrong!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Huntresa
51
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby Huntresa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Air could come via that highlighted area.

Image
Last edited by Huntresa on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Huntresa
51
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby Huntresa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm

double post

mike
3
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: Australia, Melbourne

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Postby mike » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:37 pm

hammarby88 wrote:Could do both no?
When DRS is closed, the air from the inlets on the rollhoop is blown out the big hole aka longer version of RBR outlet pretty much. When DRS opens ducts opens mercedes style but blows over the diffusor as N12ck said, meaning DRS with better grip. On top of that a third duct is revealed in the main plane rear wing which makes some of the air going trough that large tube from roolhoop go blow up onto the opened DRS flap mean it could stall the main plane slightly AND increase the pressure to the ducts leading to diffusor.

Sounds possible N12ck?

why would the air go to the diffusor if it has another place to exit?, wounldn't it be easy if..... 1 scoope blows the diffuser RBR style and the other scoop blows the rear wing and it has 2 separate systems?




Return to “Aerodynamics, chassis and tyres”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot], Grapeshot [Crawler] and 1 guest