AMuS: Mclaren and Red Bull tilting front wings?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Kiril Varbanov

AMuS: Mclaren and Red Bull tilting front wings?

AMuS ran a story today about Mclaren and Red Bull having rotating or tilting front wings, which has been spotted by Ferrari.

My German isn't good at all, nor was the translator, so if anyone is interested to properly translate that article or relevant pieces of it, just to see if there's something technically interesting.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: AMuS: Mclaren and Red Bull tilting front wings?

From what I gather here (admittedly through Google translate), the claim is effectively that some design engineers have come up with a crafty to solution to let wings deflect as they wish under load. Wouldn't surprise me if that were indeed the case.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

Isn't this flexi-wings all over again?

WhiteBlue

The article claims that McLaren's front wing rotates around the horizontal axis using only two bolts for attaching the blade to the nose cone. This modifies the standardized mid profile of the wing to generate less up force. Red Bull is supposed to have noticed the trick and copied it immediately for Japan but now Ferrari have set the FiA on their trail to come up with a new load test for Japan. It is expected that the loop hole will be plugged for the week end.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

You know this may be off topic but what downforce level would it be for Suzuka, i would of said lower but all the sweeping turns cannot be negotiated with a too low downforce output. I reckon teams might have a problem because the blown diffuser has gone the cars should be a little less stable, correct me if i'm wrong. :D
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

marcush.
marcush.

the titting roating wings is an old head really ...and Mclaren had this already last year.
I thiink the first to use it were bennetton in the late eighties?

Kiril Varbanov

I guess we are talking about something like that? MP4-27 Front wing from Singapore:

P.S. @marcush. Personally I can't remember Benetton doing something like this, though I remember illegal fuel and electronics from this time.
Last edited by Kiril Varbanov on 03 Oct 2012, 10:40, edited 2 times in total.

Timstr
Timstr

WhiteBlue wrote:The article claims that McLaren's front wing rotates around the horizontal axis using only two bolts for attaching the blade to the nose cone. This modifies the standardized mid profile of the wing to generate less up force. Red Bull is supposed to have noticed the trick and copied it immediately for Japan but now Ferrari have set the FiA on their trail to come up with a new load test for Japan. It is expected that the loop hole will be plugged for the week end.
A more accurate translation of that highly speculative excerpt:
It will be interesting to see how the [FIA] technical delegates will react to the new problem. Maybe they will introduce torsion tests in Suzuka. If the wing tilts, this trick will be forbidden.

marcush.
marcush.

Kiril Varbanov wrote:I guess we are talking about something like that? MP4-27 Front wing from Singapore:

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/529/mclarenmp427fwsin.png

P.S. @marcush. Personally I can't remember Benetton doing something like this, though I remember illegal fuel and electronics from this time.

It was the B188 if I´m correct - low nose car -the front wings were monted on a transverse tube that could rotate inside the nosecone ..this tube was supported by a spring which would be compressed under twisting force -reducing Aof A with rising speeds ...put a non linear spring set -possibly with springs going on block etc etc ..and you have a tuneable device .

Hail22

Re: Ferrari F2012

Article in English:

Despite the fact that last year banned the flexible front wings in F1 - at least that was the FIA ​​is that strengthened the structure of the standards - the engineers have not forgotten what you have already learned - fill in Auto Motor und Sport.

This page was reported to say that the McLaren's first year of front wing, which in some speed and adequate clamping force to tilt backward on the horizontal axis - unlike the previous solutions when the right and left wings lived separate lives.

Took place on the background of the flexible front wing on experimentation and was the first of the McLaren found the loophole. The Amuse claims that the front wing tilted to the horizontal axis as the speed increases, and increasing downforce to it. The solution is the same as it was in 2011: the more air reaches the diffuser under the car - as efficiently as possible. The march of the new McLaren wing due to the Hungarian Grand Prix, which was tested for the first time live.

Then came the Red Bull, and Singapore, they are also posted on the their own version, which is required for a new nose cone of a different fixture. I mentioned last year might have guessed, the wing consists of only one component of at least two big role in supporting pillar, which allows the rotation. McLaren and Red Bull front wing pillars meet the horizontal surface of very small elements in order to make it easy to get the wing to rotate along its axis. Furthermore, there is a screw secures the battery to more easily be able to tilt backwards - it was certainly suspicious of the opponents.

Red Bull, of course, could not you, and the wing rotates to a greater extent than in the case of McLaren. Adrian Newey and his team have created an extended nose in Singapore, as the nose and the center part of the wing must be consistent, even if a change in the air flow due to the rotation. (Last year's rule changes, the wing center section 50 inch for each team should look the same.)

Ferrari took notice of the affair, and of course complained to the FIA, therefore, more dialogue was Martin Whitmarsh and technical delegates between. Grüner Tobias, Writer of the page confirmed that Suzuka new / different load tests make up the disputed parts to see how regular or irregular proceedings complained of by the Italians.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

alogoc
alogoc

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener
#F1 FIA plans to carry out a new / different load test in #Suzuka after Ferrari complained in Singapore. @ScarbsF1
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

It's seems Red Bull and Mclaren have a rotating front wing, and Ferrari found it and complain to the FIA.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... pic=175159

I thinks it's better to open a new thread about this, if a mod can do that ?

Kiril Varbanov

Story appears to be developing, I remember similar stuff from last season during Europe GP.

More images, courtesy of Sutton, hosted at Matt Somers' blog:

ecapox

I think this is different than last years flexi wings. The main difference is the FIA mandated neutral area in the center of the wing. Last year's flexi wings did not alter this area as the wings flexed downward outside of this neutral area. This new rotating wing actually does alter the FIA mandataed neutral area.

It is one thing to have flexible wings that pass deflection tests. It is another thing systematically attempt to alter FIA mandated areas. While the wing still passes the deflection test, to my knowledge, there is no test to see if the FIA mandated neutral section changes....because it isnt supposed to change at all.

Nando
Nando

RUMOR: FIA inspections on Mclaren and Red Bull front wings

Autosport wrote:McLaren has downplayed suggestions that its bid to win the world championship could be hit by a potential new FIA clampdown on flexi wings.

A report in respected German magazine Auto Motor Und Sport said that the FIA was set to investigate the designs of both the McLaren and Red Bull cars amid suggestions they were cleverly getting the front wings to rotate at high speed.

This would deliver a straight-line speed boost - and could potentially explain why the outfits were so dominant on the streets of Singapore a fortnight ago.

However, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has denied talk that his outfit has had any dialogue with the FIA over the matter, and says there have been no indications any modifications need to be made to its cars.

"There have been no specific conversations to my knowledge," he said, when asked by AUTOSPORT in the pre-race Vodafone phone in media conderence if there had been talks with the FIA.

"That doesn't mean they haven't happened, but I think I would probably know," said Whitmarsh.

"I think the regulations require the wings to be rigid, but of course no wing or aerodynamic surface is infinitely rigid.

"From time to time questions and disputes arise between teams, who feel that other teams are too flexible or whatever. I don't envisage any particular problems for McLaren in that regard, and consequently I don't think that it is anything that will harm us."

Whitmarsh said it was essential that the FIA kept close tabs on front wing developments to ensure there was no repeat of the flexi wing controversies that have dogged the sport in recent years.

"I think the FIA technical department have to remain vigilant and be testing front wings, rear wings, and attachment systems all the time - to make sure that not only do they comply with the testing requirements of the regulations, but that the teams don't find other ingenious or creative ways to circumvent the intentions of the regulations," he said.

"From time to time many teams get spoken to by the FIA and are expected to correct a situation. But we're not in such a situation ourselves and I'm not aware, and I don't believe, that it is going to be an issue that will affect the championship."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103022
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."