Two-part wheels in F1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
SaturnVF1

Two-part wheels in F1

I've been closely following F1 technology for about 10 years and am a regular reader here on the forum but have a question I finally joined up to ask. I had never paid much attention to the wheels themselves but I noticed something interesting in the BBC wrap-up video after Brazil. I always assumed they were one piece but these are clearly just one part of the wheel, the outer bead to the axle locating holes. This makes me curious as to why they are split and if all teams use them, how they go together, etc. This is Lotus, who I think use OZ wheels.

That frame is from 0:36 in this video if you want to see more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zq384S2s0Q
It's a really great 2012 video if you didn't see it.

Thanks, guys!

Greg Locock

Re: Two-part wheels in F1

I don't see a split. Also, I am 99.9% that they aren't split, simply because split rims+tubeless tires are rather hard to get right.

SaturnVF1

There's no split on the halves in the crate but they're definitely only one half of the wheel. The part that covers the brake/hub assembly isn't there. I didn't think F1 wheels were split either, so I was surprised to see this.

Greg Locock

Shrugs, I don't understand what you are getting at.

majicmeow

There is obviously no inner bead surface with which to seal the inner bead of the tire on, which means they are likely a two piece wheel. The inner bead surface may be bolted to the outer wheel/mounting flange, but I would have thought that weight would be an issue with a wheel like that.

Unless those are strictly used for setup changes on the rigs/stands...??

-A

thisisatest

i see what youre seeing. no inner bead. also, if that was the whole wheel, that would be some crazy amount of offset. i have no idea how they would go together. if they simply mate at the hub, i would imagine that one edge prying from the other in side loading would be an issue.
it's also weird how they seem haphazardly tossed in that bin.

Cam

Don't know if the RB6 rims are the same or not - but here are the rims for the RB6 - to compare:
Front

Front

Rears:

“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

thisisatest

Ok, my last-possible guess is that these are from the last race of the season and they were required to cut them in half and send back. Expired due to fatigue, maybe they can only use a certain number of tires per wheel, I dunno. But it sure would keep someone from accidentally using one again by accident. And it can still he used for an end table base or whatever.

Cam

Another shot of some rims:

Here's a doco from Ray's - who claim credit for F1 rims on their website - all of which show one piece rims forged or honed.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45SqHmiXTUE[/youtube]
Currently RAYS racing wheels feature prominently in F-1 (Formula 1 Championship) and the WTCC (Worldwide Touring Car Championship) centered on Europe, the Japanese Super GT championship, the North American ALMS (American Le Mans Series), and other major competitions.
Last edited by Cam on 16 Mar 2013, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Cam

And just found this confirming Rays is a: Forged 1 piece Wheel (Magnesium) Center Lock
― Socrates

SaturnVF1

thisisatest wrote:Ok, my last-possible guess is that these are from the last race of the season and they were required to cut them in half and send back. Expired due to fatigue, maybe they can only use a certain number of tires per wheel, I dunno. But it sure would keep someone from accidentally using one again by accident. And it can still he used for an end table base or whatever.
Certainly the best guess I've heard, but I'm pretty sure this was packing up after a GP and I doubt the would've had to cut the wheels at the circuit. It could be that they're old wheels that they cut and use as part of a setup rig. I might try emailing Lotus. I'll let you know what they say.