DRS Wing Movement

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
outer_bongolia

DRS Wing Movement

I was looking at the double DRS and passive DRS pictures and started thinking about some other options for the DRS wing movement.

Is it possible to move the pivot point further to the front so that it pretty much blocks the bottom wing's upside draft and causes a stronger stall on that wing?
I am sure someone thought of that before, and I was wondering why no one applied it.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

wesley123
wesley123

Re: DRS Wing Movement

The pivot point is on the trailing edge of the rear wing, and cannot be moved.

Also the idea suggests is a bit useless. Due to the short flap wings we have seen emerge since 2011 the main plane is already at a level close to stalling. The flap, and it's slot gap, prevent stalling(just the way the whole things work, I dont think it requires further explaination).

When the DRS is opened the flap is pretty much flat. But also the slot gap, which prevents wing stall in regular conditions, is gone. Therefore the main plane will also stall.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

amouzouris

wesley123 wrote:The pivot point is on the trailing edge of the rear wing, and cannot be moved.

Also the idea suggests is a bit useless. Due to the short flap wings we have seen emerge since 2011 the main plane is already at a level close to stalling. The flap, and it's slot gap, prevent stalling(just the way the whole things work, I dont think it requires further explaination).

When the DRS is opened the flap is pretty much flat. But also the slot gap, which prevents wing stall in regular conditions, is gone. Therefore the main plane will also stall.
I think a less aggressive answer would be appropriate... anyway... Using a longer chord for the upper element, WILL have benefits, in which case using a pivot in the middle of the upper element would ofc be beneficial...so the proposal isn't useless...it just cannot be used under the regulations as the pivot must be on the trailing edge of the upper element.

outer_bongolia

amouzouris wrote:
wesley123 wrote:...it just cannot be used under the regulations as the pivot must be on the trailing edge of the upper element.
Thanks a lot
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan