Morphing wings

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Kiril Varbanov

Morphing wings

One of my all-time favorite topics to talk and think about, especially in the off-season. I strongly believe in adaptability and flexibility as general principles and it is no wonder that I love Chameleons.

In our case, F1 or general mainstream aviation and aerodynamics, the morphing wings concept isn't new. NASA declassified a document back in 1997 which was revealing a project (I believe code-named THUNDER) to control the shape of an aerofoil.

This one isn't fresh either, but it talks about similar thing - super aero wing - http://phys.org/news/2013-10-super-aero ... -wing.html

A similar concept I've got for some time stuck in my head, however, haven't had the time to research and read about further, is having a piezoelectric devices on top of a surface, let's say a wing or a sidepod. These small devices are certainly flat to avoid shape drag penalty, and are connected with very thin and small wires to a general electric charger. Given the E-approach F1 has taken, this doesn't really sound unusual. At the push of a button, these devices release small amount of electricity, which is supposed to 'wake' and re-energize the boundary layer, thus helping to some extent to relieve drag. I can't, however, nicely quantify the amount of drag that can be saved, and I believe it may be a small gain.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on morphing wings and their possible applications in F1.
Last edited by Kiril Varbanov on 05 Dec 2013, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

autogyro
autogyro

Re: Morphing wings

I did think up some shape changing blades for a vertical axis wind turbine a while ago.
It was basically a flexible skin design with a rotating main spar with lobes that reversed the convex side to the concave and visa versa.
This reversed the aerofoil shape.
The front third of the section stayed the same.
The turbine worked with the blades leading edges always into the wind but the angle of incidence changing from left to right.
Energy for rotation was from blade lift rather than any paddle wheel effect.

I am also playing with shape changing intakes and blades for hydrodynamic applications in marine propulsion.

The problem with F1 is the regulations that prevents moving aerodynamics.

I do not think the boundary level energising induction experiments you sight will have much effect at low subsonic speeds as in F1.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

people have for 60+ years been greatly reducing drag by preventing boundary layer thickening
by sucking away the boundary layer via a porous skin

this is useless for aviation because it is unreliable, being spoiled by precipitation and other contamination
so making it unuseable in practice (and uncertifiable)
though small patches have again recently been tried experimentally for civil aviation

F1 could in principle use this, but is more interested in boosting DF than cutting drag
DF can be boosted by blowing of boundary layers to maintain attachment where seperation would otherwise occur
some military aircraft have had this since the 1950s, the C-17 transport is a recent example
but it's not certifiable for civil use in the 'public transport' category
because an engine failure is disastrous
this, again F1 could in principle use

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Kiril Varbanov wrote:One of my all-time buggers
I think you mean "bugbears". "Buggers" is something entirely different! :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Kiril Varbanov

Just_a_fan wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:One of my all-time buggers
I think you mean "bugbears". "Buggers" is something entirely different! :shock:
Shame :oops: Corrected, thanks. No logical spell-checker, apparently.
I surely agree with having more DF, which is again, however, related in most of the cases with drag penalty, hence the reduce idea.

Couple of days ago I was reading about Lufthansa, while on their planes, for implementing parts of shark skin pattern on the fuselage and leading edge of the wings. Bionics, you know.

Lycoming
Lycoming

There's more than one way to actively influence the boundary layer...

http://utias.utoronto.ca/~lavoie/ResearchTopics.html

olefud
olefud

An early morphing wing would be the Wright brother’s warping wing concept. The following is of interest only because I worked with the inventor.

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=0439 ... first+page

flynfrog

olefud wrote:An early morphing wing would be the Wright brother’s warping wing concept. The following is of interest only because I worked with the inventor.

I first read that as you worked with the wright bros. :lol:

The 787 doesn't change its airfoil cross section but it does flex the wings enough in flight to form a sort of wing tip.

shelly
shelly

Nice picture showing aeroelastic effects on liners
twitter: @armchair_aero

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Whilst mentioning airliners, Boeing's next version of the 777 will have folding wingtips in order to allow it to fit in to airports whilst gaining the benefit of higher aspect ratio etc.
http://www.newairplane.com/777x/
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

riff_raff
riff_raff

Tommy Cookers wrote:people have for 60+ years been greatly reducing drag by preventing boundary layer thickening

this is useless for aviation because it is unreliable, being spoiled by precipitation and other contamination
though small patches have again recently been tried experimentally for civil aviation

F1 could in principle use this, but is more interested in boosting DF than cutting drag
DF can be boosted by blowing of boundary layers to maintain attachment where seperation would otherwise occur
some military aircraft have had this since the 1950s, the C-17 transport is a recent example
How about this concept?

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2013/november ... qKhkie0ZiY
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

autogyro
autogyro

riff_raff wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:people have for 60+ years been greatly reducing drag by preventing boundary layer thickening

How about this concept?

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2013/november ... qKhkie0ZiY
I would not like to control a 757 with a reduced sized fin and rudder based on this ancient technology if the air feed system fails.
If the air feed is bled from the engines then those who thought of the idea need to stop spending the companies money.
Looks like Boeing are still grasping at straws.

neilbah
neilbah

this topic reminds me a little of the idea of replacing fans in computer with ionic wind devices. Although i dont know if there could be an application in F1 anytime soon, i certainly doubt there would externally on the bodywork, maybe internally for cooling if the technology has any integrity.

Although on paying more attention i realize its not the following suggestion but the first post made me imagine the human skin and the way we have hairs that move to lay flat or stand on end, although a representation of this on an f1 car would class as moveable aero..the combining of traits found in the natural world applied in technology are fascinating.

humble sabot

olefud wrote:An early morphing wing would be the Wright brother’s warping wing concept. The following is of interest only because I worked with the inventor.

I had a similar idea at least once. I never thought of making such an aggressive airbrake out of it though. My inspiration was the so called Turbosail http://www.cousteau.org/technology/turbosail
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance