Most peculiar suspensions.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
timbo
timbo

Re: Most peculiar suspensions.

Is no suspension peculiar?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFmWd2JkC8[/youtube]

Sombrero
Sombrero

LOTUS 77 aka JPS MKII "The Adjustacar"

The suspension was designed around a series of rocker arms instead of the usual set up of wishbones. The idea behind the new system was to set the suspension up for a specific track (wheelbase & track), taking into account ride height and road surface, and the 77 was dubbed 'The Adjustacar' as a result. It worked in a fashion, but inexperience with such an infinitely adjustable car meant that optimum settings were often not achieved. Drivers Mario Andretti and Gunnar Nilsson reported the steering and ride were occasionally vague and unresponsive and that the car lacked straight-line speed. Andretti did not care for the car, proclaiming it to be a 'dog.' This motivated Lotus to accelerate research and create the Lotus 78.

Wikipedia

xpensive
xpensive

AJ Foyt's 1977 Coyote. Can't help it, there was just something inherently wrong with this front suspension layout.

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Sebp

Anyone been over at http://www.gurneyflap.com/ recently?
Loads of great suspension shots there aswell.

Lotus 87 for example.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Tim.Wright

Ah yes, hadn't lurked at gurney flap for a while.

And behold, a De Dion:
Not the engineer at Force India

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

In the photo above, what would you say is the purpose of the line/hose from the trans tail section to the axle tube?

Brian

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

hardingfv32 wrote:In the photo above, what would you say is the purpose of the line/hose from the trans tail section to the axle tube?

Brian
I can only guess, but maybe they use the rotational speeds of both axles to limit the differential. At least there's a connection to both axles. Any experts for the old cars here?

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

xpensive
xpensive

I'd be as crass, or ignorant, that it might be circulating lube fore the U-joints?

autogyro
autogyro

xpensive wrote:I'd be as crass, or ignorant, that it might be circulating lube fore the U-joints?
It is most likely a full oil system for the transaxle, including the diff and gear train.

Axel31
Axel31

u joints in steering column

Hi there!
i can't really figure out how to connect carbon fiber rod to a u joint in my steering column for fsae car.
Your suggestions would be really helpful
thanks

trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: u joints in steering column

Axel31 wrote:Hi there!
i can't really figure out how to connect carbon fiber rod to a u joint in my steering column for fsae car.
thanks
Going to need more information than just that buddy. What orientation are you trying to connect them? Is it a high stress application? The more information the better

xpensive
xpensive

Re: u joints in steering column

Axel31 wrote:Hi there!
thanks
Wrong thread, you have to look elsewheres for free information like that.

marcush.
marcush.

If you happen to have no idea how to connect these bits and pieces -I´d advise to step back and ask yourself if your choice of material was wise....
On a serious note:formula 1 does connect cf tubes to metal componentry by means of bonded in inserts:

-picture borrowed from a cool thread here on this very forum -thanks brianG!!-

I think it is a very bad idea to use just a constant diameter tube to connect to an insert though ...you will always do a lousy job
at spreading the loads .
CF tube ? is it a pulltrusion ,a laid up prepreg , or a sock ,you are very unspecific here .You come across as :You seem to think CF is something you could buy conveniently at a hardware shop cut to length and some guy somewhere knows the 10cent bolt which is doing the job for a steering column...

I might quote a former(?)lead stress engineer(steve o´rourke) of williams GP on usage of CF :
It is an intriguing material ,yes -but honestly I would never use it if there was an alternative for our purposes .So in other words -if every other design would come out heavier to carry the design loads only then they use CF !
I tend to believe a FSAE car will not gain a measureable advantage by using CF just for the sake of using it.Lightweight starts with reducing parts count ...so think about a solution how to get rid of :u-joints,bolts, column, etc... :roll:
Last edited by marcush. on 23 Dec 2013, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Shrieker

Ciro Pabón wrote:Williams active controlled dynamics, 1991-1992. You have to watch this video: eerie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjbc1tmKi6g
Wow, I never quite imagined it could actually move by so much !!
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

CBeck113
CBeck113

http://imgur.com/a/B3UhL#30
http://imgur.com/a/B3UhL#31

Edit: Wasn't pulling the images from Imgur, so I switched them to [url].
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail