Beam wing rear suspension 2014

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PlatinumZealot

Beam wing rear suspension 2014

Due to the regulations banning beam wings for 2014, designers have searched and are still searching for any possible way to recoup some of the lost rear down force.

I think that Mclaren designers have ingeniously come up with a "fake" suspension part that does not move AT ALL. On each side of the gearbox there is a rigid peice of carbon fibre construction cantilevered to the suspension uprights. Each cantilever acts as the mounting point for the real tie-rod (or tracking rods) for the rear upright.

This gives a broad Immovable, rigid and hence legal surface to mount the rear wing and form a replacement beam wing. It is legal as it is not considered body work but a suspension part.(??) I may be wrong though hahaha.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 24 Jan 2014, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Re: MP4-29 Rear "suspension"

The wing is mounted on a central pillar...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

turbof1

CMSMJ1 wrote:The wing is mounted on a central pillar...
That's not the point. This new fake rod is placed on the rigid gearbox, which makes it unmovable. The rear wing pillar is placed on the crash structure, so also unmovable.
#AeroFrodo

scarbs
scarbs

I cant see that on the pics, the track rod is clearly seen pivoting on the rear crash structure, as does the rear leg of the lower wisbone.

Pup
Pup

If it's rigid, then it's bodywork, and not allowed.

SectorOne

Pictures show that the outer edges of the rear wing is not connected to that piece.
Notice the tiny gap.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

At first i thought that there was a connection, but now it's clear that the only connection is the single central support.
Look at both pictures below.

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)