"Spoiler cars???"

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: "Spoiler cars???"

removed
Last edited by rjsa on 12 Mar 2014, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

rjsa
rjsa

Re:

richard_leeds wrote:
n smikle wrote: G-forces ...are not solely due to aero-dynamic down-force ...
Aero downforce does not create g-force. One is an externally applied load (N), the other is an acceleration (m/s2) due to change of velocity.
I guess he means the lateral G's seen by a car while turning are a function of both the car weight and downforce composed into the vertical lodas on the tyres, doesn't he?

MadMatt
MadMatt

xxChrisxx wrote:
MadMatt wrote:
xxChrisxx wrote:Banked tracks means the g force has a longditudinal component. Its also important to make the distinction between dizzyness and g induced black outs.

Im also not blindly dismissing the possibility it could happen. Its just that I seem to remember that humans can tolerate lateral g far better than longditudinal g.
Wrong. Where on earth do you have a longitudinal component when driving at constant speed on a banking? You are talking about VERTICAL component. Sorry but sometimes I get tired of reading sh** on a forum such as F1 technical.
I tried to clarify this in my earlier post, becuase I realised it was ambiguous.
Edit. I should clarify. Longditudinal in this case means the axis going from head to foot.
I didn't use vertical becuase that is being ambiguos w.r.t the banking or the ground, though it is less confusing that me calling it longditudinal. I suppose 'component prependicular to the banking'/'vertical axis of the body'.

Really should have been more careful with how I described it, sorry.
No I appologize for being that agressive. You got it right tho. Human body has problems to cope with vertical G-forces, that's right, such as negative-G force which is probably the worst case. Vertical force the other way such as these experienced by oval racers is easier to manage, but if you look at jet-fighter pilots, some have pressurised suits to forbid the blood to go down to their feet, which is as bad as having all the blood in your head in case of negative G forces.

But it was indeed observed in Texas (as mentionned) that the drivers felt sick from being exposed to long periods of combined lateral and vertical G-forces. I don't know if F1 drivers would have experienced the same since they are better trained and more used to high lateral loads. :)

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

MadMatt wrote: ..... jet-fighter pilots, some have pressurised suits to forbid the blood to go down to their feet, which is as bad as having all the blood in your head in case of negative G forces.
quite low levels of negative g cause temporary or permanent damage to the eyes etc
positive g is perfectly safe
so combat aircraft are designed around this, limited to eg +9 -5g
usually the same with aerobatic aircraft eg +12g -6g (or +6-3g which is the basis of certification)
IIRC about -4.5g one's fov develops a reddish hue and you might think you can taste blood

the inner ear re-references its definition of balance in about 5 sec
also the circulation in the brain adjusts quickly to non-standard accelerations, yaw etc and related Coriolis effects
so I can believe that long corners with high enough lateral g could give dizziness at or after the exit
also maintaining the aim of the eyeballs may be harder under high lateral g than vertical ?

FW17

Spoiler cars mentioned by Newey could be the turbo cars with large rear wings which featured in till 1988. The powerful turbo engines with over 1000hp could haul large wings with a lot of drag which affected their top speed but had good cornering speeds