Return of active suspension - 2017

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tim.Wright

Return of active suspension - 2017

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113465

Warning - linked article may cause members to become erect...
Not the engineer at Force India

theloniousmonk
theloniousmonk

Re: Return of active suspension - 2017

Oh wow, this is actually a smart move.

I'd love a formula with extreme aero restrictions (perhaps something like venturi tunnels, and tiny wings), and just liberty on road relevant or future development. Things like VGT, CVT's, Free Valves, Active suspension, Airless tyres etc.

Other grand moves (but obviously whimsical) would be a maximum cockpit sound level, to spearhead research into lightweight sound deadening and investment into acoustics in aerodynamics (rather than downforce), with a weight penalty with each dB over a certain value.

Pavan_MP423
Pavan_MP423

It's always intriguing to observe the role of technology marvels in F1. I mean Active suspension is close to being standardized in production cars and we know how effective they are compared to passive ones. Even though their principle remains the same i.e to vary damping co-efficient / spring stiffness, it's all about learning about how these devices are incorporated in F1. The level of change in dynamics they produce and the drivers feedback, technical challenges faced by design engineers etc.,
At least for a petrol head like me and everyone else out there who are keen on learning every bit of vehicle dynamics, technology is a prime mover for having us synced to the Motorsport :)
Danger sensation is exciting, the challenge is to find new Dangers.
-Ayrton Senna

https://twitter.com/RealHamiltonFan

Sulman
Sulman

I was sad to see it go, and I'm glad it might be back.

It was never a driver aid, and indeed it allowed the flat-bottomed cars of '93 to run efficiently and safely.

WhiteBlue

It would be a smart move IMHO. The reason it was banned in 1994 was not really clear. They moved aganst all kind of electronic gismos and the FiA had the problem of curbing performance. This problem is now gone because they can easily control the performance by adjusting the fuel allowance. It makes more sense to get an optimum suspension setup automatically than using the expensive track time for the purpose. The teams could do real development work instead. WE also would see aerodynamic efficiency increase with auto ride hight. So bring it back! I'm all for it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

motobaleno

anyone noticed the 18 " rims? cited in the article?

that would be a huge variation

mkable1370
mkable1370

motobaleno wrote:anyone noticed the 18 " rims? cited in the article?

that would be a huge variation
I remember hearing that Michelin was pushing for 18" rims as a possible condition of their return to F1.

Xwang
Xwang

Are they thinking about the type of active suspension we saw in 90s or something more similar to production car ones (mechanical spings + actively controlled dampers and no hydraulically powered circuit)?

Pavan_MP423
Pavan_MP423

Xwang wrote:Are they thinking about the type of active suspension we saw in 90s or something more similar to production car ones (mechanical spings + actively controlled dampers and no hydraulically powered circuit)?
Supposedly, hydraulic actuators were used in 90s.
Danger sensation is exciting, the challenge is to find new Dangers.
-Ayrton Senna

https://twitter.com/RealHamiltonFan

Xwang
Xwang

Pavan_MP423 wrote:
Xwang wrote:Are they thinking about the type of active suspension we saw in 90s or something more similar to production car ones (mechanical spings + actively controlled dampers and no hydraulically powered circuit)?
Supposedly, hydraulic actuators were used in 90s.
Yes, I was asking if they are thinking of something similar to thr 90s active suspension systems (hydraulic actuators IMHO not really useful in road cars and so a typical F1 specific research project) or, instead, a system with mechanical springs and electronically controlled dampers (similar to the ones used by Ferrari, Jaguar and others road cars)?

Sulman
Sulman

I think they'd be interested in attitude control, which I guess would mean a fully hydraulic system.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

The current 2009-2015 regs thread has all sorts of exciting changes that were discussed ad infinitum and then never saw the light of day.

I'll believe this when I see it but totally agree it is a good idea.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

FrukostScones

active suspension... and cars like on rails... less HP and less tyres because of fast corner speeds..? No Thanks!
I like it it right now, when we see the drivers making errors and having to correct a lot (like in this left hand turn in Bahrain)...
hopefully this proposal will die a quick death.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Xwang
Xwang

Well I'm not against the use of electronically controlled dampers if it is not allowed to have specific setup for each curve which I suppose can be enforced via the use of the standard ECU.
The hydraulic system seams so unrelated to "production" car to appear to me not useful.

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:The reason it was banned in 1994 was not really clear.
Let me enlighten you WB, it was part of your old favourite MrM's brainless kneejerk at anything after Senna's death.

Another xample of his restauranttable-engineering was an open scoop. Ingenious.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"