The secrets of Brembo brake system

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Kiril Varbanov

The secrets of Brembo brake system

Video and nice graphics:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH2hcF0I-bo[/youtube]
Last edited by Kiril Varbanov on 15 Jun 2014, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: The secrets of Brembo brake system

Not much in the way of actual secrets there, not to mention they aren't secrets anymore, but interesting that they log stroke as well as pressure at the MC.

By the way, what does it mean when they show a number, a slash, a second number and then a unit?

Juzh

How often do they change brakes on an f1 car anyway? What's their longevity?

AnthonyG

New brakes each race I guess.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Lycoming
Lycoming

I kind of doubt it's necessary to replace the carbon brakes for every race due to wear, though they may swap different rotors or pad compounds for different circuits.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Lycoming wrote:I kind of doubt it's necessary to replace the carbon brakes for every race due to wear, though they may swap different rotors or pad compounds for different circuits.
It absolutely is necessary. Why would you carry extra weight in the breaks that you don't need to? I mean, the teams even put different thicknesses of disks on depending on circuit to minimise weight where breaking is light.

bhall
bhall

formula1.about.com wrote:Like other parts of the Formula 1 car, the brakes are built not for endurance but primarily for speed. In general, the brakes are designed to last a little longer than a single race. Teams use a different set of brakes on the car for the Friday practice sessions, and then add new brakes for Saturday's practice, qualifying and the race the next day.
I read something else a while back that stated teams typically treat brakes as a disposable commodity, just like engine oil or coolant. Part of the reasoning is that drivers often have different manufacturer preferences for different circuits. Hamilton, for one, apparently switched back and forth between Hitco and Carbon Industries when he was at McLaren.

Juzh

bhall wrote:
formula1.about.com wrote:Like other parts of the Formula 1 car, the brakes are built not for endurance but primarily for speed. In general, the brakes are designed to last a little longer than a single race. Teams use a different set of brakes on the car for the Friday practice sessions, and then add new brakes for Saturday's practice, qualifying and the race the next day.
I read something else a while back that stated teams typically treat brakes as a disposable commodity, just like engine oil or coolant. Part of the reasoning is that drivers often have different manufacturer preferences for different circuits. Hamilton, for one, apparently switched back and forth between Hitco and Carbon Industries when he was at McLaren.
Aren't mclaren using akebonos specially tailored for them?

bhall
bhall

I have no idea what's currently in use at McLaren, but they used Akebono calipers and Hitco discs in 2012.

(Only the French translation of that page seems to work. It's difficult to miss the relevant entry, though.)

Kiril Varbanov

bhall wrote:I have no idea what's currently in use at McLaren, but they used Akebono calipers and Hitco discs in 2012.

(Only the French translation of that page seems to work. It's difficult to miss the relevant entry, though.)
Mclaren have extended their partnership with Akebono, who became Technology partner - http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partner ... -mercedes/

langwadt
langwadt

beelsebob wrote:
Lycoming wrote:I kind of doubt it's necessary to replace the carbon brakes for every race due to wear, though they may swap different rotors or pad compounds for different circuits.
It absolutely is necessary. Why would you carry extra weight in the breaks that you don't need to? I mean, the teams even put different thicknesses of disks on depending on circuit to minimise weight where breaking is light.
yes they would want to go as light as possible, making them last shouldn't be a problem. I believe some teams do a whole
Le Mans with out replacing brakes

beelsebob
beelsebob

langwadt wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
yes they would want to go as light as possible, making them last shouldn't be a problem. I believe some teams do a whole
The point is that if your breaks last longer than a race (or rather, longer than a race and a few laps), then you are carrying around more break material than you need to, and that's unsprung mass that you could do without. It doesn't matter how resilient you make the material, you don't want to carry around more than you need to.

AnthonyG

This is a break

This is a brake
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

langwadt
langwadt

beelsebob wrote:
langwadt wrote:
beelsebob wrote: It absolutely is necessary. Why would you carry extra weight in the breaks that you don't need to? I mean, the teams even put different thicknesses of disks on depending on circuit to minimise weight where breaking is light.
The point is that if your breaks last longer than a race (or rather, longer than a race and a few laps), then you are carrying around more break material than you need to, and that's unsprung mass that you could do without. It doesn't matter how resilient you make the material, you don't want to carry around more than you need to.
indeed, almost anything on a race car (that you are allowed to change) that'll last longer that a race is made too heavy

riff_raff
riff_raff

While I am not intimately familiar with the CRC materials used on current F1 cars, I do know that a few years back the CRC brake rotor and pad materials used had a fairly similar wear rate. And the thickness of each was just adequate to last the race distance without becoming thin enough to fail structurally. Of course, one issue resulting from the pads and rotors becoming thinner as the race progresses is that their thermal mass is reduced, and this will affect their heat transfer properties and operating temps.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"