F1 Car Yaw Angle - Monza

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
al_garnett
al_garnett

F1 Car Yaw Angle - Monza

I am currently completing some CFD investigations into the front wing. Am i right in saying the flow over the front wing will not be symmetrical when cornering?

therefore the free stream air will need to come in at an angle on my model?

Could anyone help me with a method to decide the angle i need to put the model at? to simulate the corners at the Monza circuit

Belatti
Belatti

Re: F1 Car Yaw Angle - Monza

try from 2 to 5°
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

For a method, you would need to assess the corner's length, it's curvature (radius length) and the average speed through the corner. This would allow you to work out the rate at which the car turns and thus the average yaw.

The reality is that the yaw is quite small and is variable through the corner. It will be greater in a slow corner than in a fast one.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tim.Wright

I assume you mean slip angle, not yaw angle. The yaw angle (or heading) is an earth fixed reference and is basically the angle between north and the vehicles longotudinal axis.

The slip angle is the angle between the car's velocity vector and its heading vector. In other words, the angle between where the car is going and where it is pointing.

This number will be different at different points along the body (due to the path curvature) but if you assume a large enough turn radius it is relatively constant for the complete vehicle.

If you search for bicycle model theory you will find the information required to find the slip angle (nominally) at the centre of gravity. It is affected by the slip angle of the tyres and for this there is not a lot of data around. There are some tyre curves from circa 2000 in the Ferrari F1-2000 book by Peter Wright. There are some older ones still in Milliken. But generally the tyres will be operating at around 4-6 deg of slip angle at peak lateral acceleration. Usually more on the front.

Then you need the vehicle wheelbase (which you can estimate from images) and an estimation on the yawrate (which you calculate from the path radius and corner speed but there are other ways) Then you then have enough information to calculate the slip angle at the CG. If I remember correct the formula is SideSlipAtCG = RearSlipAngle + b x YawRate. Sign conventions and units are critical.
Not the engineer at Force India