F1 tech disseminated to CV90

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Sniffit

F1 tech disseminated to CV90

I know that it's old and not in current use. However I find it interesting when thinking of the current debate in the VW thread about getting the tech to find its way into road cars. Adapting it for combat vehicles show that some of the tech is clearly useful outside of the auto industry.
If Formula1 racers are thoroughbreds that need to pampered and cosseted, then armored combat vehicles are warhorses that need to stand up to the worst of the worst. That makes it a surprise when BAE Systems announces that it's taken an active damping suspension designed for F1 cars and adapted it for Sweden's Combat Vehicle 90 (CV90). Billed as a world's first for a tracked vehicle, the upgrade is claimed to improve battlefield speed and handling.
More @ http://www.gizmag.com/bae-cv90-active-damping/37198/

grettu
grettu

Re: F1 tech disseminated to CV90

Combat vehicles ? Amazing, they do not know how to transfer the technology to daily cars.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

BAE should check their history - Lotus did this in 1992. They fitted active suspension to an Alvis Scorpion.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

stresseddave
stresseddave

Just_a_fan wrote:BAE should check their history - Lotus did this in 1992. They fitted active suspension to an Alvis Scorpion.
The engineering on the system in the CV90 actually predates the Lotus Scorpion (I was the project engineer for the MoD on that one for a while and DaveW was intimately involved in the early days of the project) by quite a number of years. The predecessor was put together by AP (IIRC - by the time I was at the MoD it was sitting in a shed) and was a mechanical solution in so far as the valves were controlled by pendulum accelerometers. I think that system is what mutated into the Williams active system rather than the modal isolation 'fast active' system run by Lotus.

The Lotus system, using a couple of Moog valves on each corner station and another couple on each track tensioner (so 12 in all), would never be a serious solution for military use. Trying to maintain that system in less than clean conditions would have been a nightmare - even when we were running on concrete test tracks, there were regular visits to Moog in Tewkesbury for exchange valves.

One of the Lotus reports for the Americans (They paid for the active track tensioning IIRC) is freely available online. Not much detail in it though. I can believe it's over twenty years ago now. I'd like to do the project again with modern processing power - debugging TMS 320C20 fixed point DSP code was a little challenging. When Lotus got round to detailing the software, they found a lot of minuses that should have been pluses.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That's what I like about this forum - you get to learn stuff. Thanks! =D> 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

stresseddave
stresseddave

I managed to find a piccie of the previous gen. version:

Note the Citroen spheres on the outside...