Aero grip vs. mechanical grip (and low profile tires)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
DaveW
DaveW

Re: Aero grip vs. mechanical grip (and low profile tires)

Milliken "Camber Car", perhaps - but I wasn't advocating that solution in my previous post

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Tim.Wright

That DAX suspension seems to add a lot of complexity to effectivaly replicate the kinematics of a beam axle.
Not the engineer at Force India

trinidefender
trinidefender

Tim.Wright wrote:That DAX suspension seems to add a lot of complexity to effectivaly replicate the kinematics of a beam axle.
A beam axle without the both unsprung weight and what seems like the disadvantages of not being able to change camber at all. According to the article this system can still change camber if desirable in roll profiles simply through the use of unequal length wishbones. Am I correct?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

I think both Milliken's car and Dax are trying to solve a problem that radial tires don't really have. Crossplies had about 4 times as much camber thrust as radials.

theTTshark
theTTshark

Greg Locock wrote:or the dax suspension http://locost7.info/mirror/dax.php
I think they were also missing a big point...The conditions the tires see at turn in is much different then mid corner.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Greg Locock wrote:I think both Milliken's car and Dax are trying to solve a problem that radial tires don't really have. Crossplies had about 4 times as much camber thrust as radials.
The Dax appears to be somewhat similar in concept ( turned 90`) to this racebike rear suspension tried some 40 years ago..

http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/tunerwisdom/parallelogram.htm

Do any of the Caterham 7 - 'De Dion' type rear suspension units - allow for a negative camber set-up, fixed or adjustable?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).